qcvnremu

RSF questions the true reasons for the arrest of a Burmese journalist

By on June 12, 2021

first_img April 18, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 RSF questions the true reasons for the arrest of a Burmese journalist February 23, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information RSF_en RSF demands release of detained Indian journalist Siddique Kappan, hospitalised with Covid-19 Organisation IndiaAsia – Pacific Follow the news on India News Newscenter_img to go further India: RSF denounces “systemic repression” of Manipur’s media March 3, 2021 Find out more IndiaAsia – Pacific News Indian journalist wrongly accused of “wantonly” inaccurate reporting On 17 April, Soe Myint was released under bail by a Barasat court (north of Calcutta).______________________________________________________________ In a letter sent to the Indian Minister of External Affairs, Jaswant Singh, Reporters sans frontières (Reporters Without Borders – RSF) asked for the real reasons for the arrest of Burmese journalist Soe Myint, managing editor of the Mizzima press agency. “We are justified in asking whether the arrest of this journalist, reputed for his reporting on human rights violations in Burma, has a direct relation with the diplomatic rapprochement between New Delhi and Rangoon. The fact that this arrest occurred twelve years after his crime, but just one week after your visit to Burma, leads us to ask for detailed explanations on this arrest,” said Robert Ménard, RSF’s General Secretary. RSF asked the minister to guarantee the safety of Burmese journalists exiled in India and their right to inform. RSF also reminded that there is no press freedom in Burma, and that at least 17 journalists are in Burmese jails for peacefully defending democracy.According to information obtained by RSF, Soe Myint, managing editor of the Mizzima press agency and vice secretary of the Burma Media Association (BMA, an affiliate of the RSF Network), was arrested at his home in New Delhi on 10 April 2002. He was transferred to Calcutta where he was held for five days. This detention was renewed on 15 April. Authorities say that he must face charges of hijacking a Thai Airways plane, flying from Calcutta to Rangoon, on 19 November 1990. This unarmed hijacking was done to attract international public opinion to human rights violations perpetrated by the Burmese junta. After spending three months in a Calcutta jail (West Bengal), Soe Myint was released. In exchange, he was supposed to check in regularly with judicial authorities in Calcutta. In 1993, he obtained refugee status from the High Commissioner for Refugees. In 1995, the General Secretary of the province of West Bengal sent a letter to the Indian government asking that the charges be dropped, since the hijacking was committed without violence. He never received a response.In 1998 Soe Myint, now 35 years old, founded Mizzima, a press agency focusing on Burma, which was very critical to the military government. Many international media use news provided by this agency, especially radio stations broadcasting in Burmese. According to Burmese and Indian sources, the Rangoon junta may have pressured the Indian government to arrest this dissident. Soe Myint’s lawyer, Nandita Haksar, told RSF that her client had been questioned about his activities as a journalist, especially by two men in the CID offices who refused to identify themselves. April 27, 2021 Find out more Newslast_img read more

Continue Reading

nkkdghkm

Student security risks exposed

By on May 3, 2021

first_imgA Cherwell survey has revealed that students are compromising college security by failing to take precautions against break-ins and thefts. The results coincide with a recent burglary at St John’s College where a thief entered the grounds and gained access to students’ rooms. A man reportedly entered four or five students’ rooms, and stole a laptop and other items. 150 students took part in the survey, 59% of whom said they had loaned their access card or key to another student, and 11% of whom said they had loaned them to someone who wasn’t a student. Over half of students said they had let someone into college they didn’t recognise and only 5% claimed always to ask a person’s name if they don’t know who they are. Some 37% of students said they have lost their access card or key one or more times, and 31% that they wouldn’t report such a loss to the college immediately. A number of JCR Presidents were concerned about college security upon hearing the statistics. Dani Quinn, of Merton, said, “One area of concern for many of us is that we receive no warning when workmen (e.g. electricians) are going to be knocking on our doors to do checks. It’s embarrassing to ask for ID, and students often feel quite vulnerable when they have unidentified strangers in their rooms.” St Peter’s College has taken steps recently to reduce the chances of college security being jeopardised by students’ carelessness. Joel Mullan, JCR President commented, “The main college site is quite well protected. In the last year, college have taken difficult, unpopular, but necessary decisions to enhance security – such as locking both of the peripheral gates overnight. Other things like the recent successful request for overnight closure of Bulwarks Lane will undoubtedly also improve things. “Security at the annexes is more questionable – a few weeks ago there was an attempted burglary – but we’ll be working with college in the next few months and suggesting improvements which can be made,” he added. In response to the survey, one third year at Worcester College said, “I leave my door open all the time. Sometimes we see guys wandering about our flat but we assume they’re there for maintenance.” Caroline Thomas, Home Bursar of New College, commented, “I doubt that any Home Bursar or Head Porter would be surprised by these statistics. As part of the Freshers’ Week induction, New College makes it clear that most thefts occur from rooms that have been left unlocked or because students have allowed unknown people to follow them into a building or staircase. In other words, students are warned of the risks from day one.” The Domestic Bursar of University College, Elizabeth Crawford said, “The College is constantly trying to raise awareness on these issues (via e mail, electronic notices and verbal advice through the JCR). We are acutely conscious that our buildings and community are only as safe as College members allow them to be. But it is also important to get the balance right and not make students feel that they are living in a locked down and heavily regulated environment.” “We have also taken out insurance against losses with Endsleigh for students who live in college accommodation, and the terms of this insurance take full account of students’ apparently relaxed approach to security. Thames Valley Police always start from the assumption that any security measures put in place are actually used,” she said. Students have also been warned by Thames Valley Police in recent weeks to beware of burglars who follow students home and gain unauthorised access to colleges and student housing. Ian Ashpole, a student who had something stolen during the St John’s burglary said, “He got into my room because I left my door unlocked – that’s how he got into anyone’s room. I’ve been locking my door since then, though”. A message to members of the JCR following the incident said, “Make sure that if you leave your room you lock your door, especially if you have valuable items in your room such as phones, laptops etc. Even if you are leaving for a minute or two this is ample time for a professional thief to operate. Also please try to ensure that the doors at the bottom of staircases are kept shut where possible, if they are left wide open then they provide no security whatsoever.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

kvvfwvhc

Van Persie facing 3-match suspension for ‘elbow on Cabaye’

By on August 28, 2020

first_imgRobin Van Persie is facing a possible three-match ban after being accused of elbowing Yohan Cabaye – as Manchester United hit top form and demolished Newcastle.Alan Pardew called for the FA to look at an off-the-ball clash between Van Persie and the French midfielder, who collapsed in a heap clutching his head.United boss Sir Alex Ferguson praised his Wayne Rooney-inspired side as being back to their best, as goals from Jonny Evans, Patrice Evra and Tom Cleverly, his first for United in the Premier League, sealed the game.Van Persie could be hit by an FA charge today, because referee Howard Webb did not appear to see the 84th minute incident, and if found guilty he will face a ban.Pardew said: “He has looked at Yohan and elbowed him. That needs to be looked at. There was history from last year and I don’t know if Robin has got caught in that. That was a bit of unsavoury-ness in the game.“I thought Yohan would not have gone down if he has not done something. I did not see myself it at first but have looked at it on the replays and it looks like he looked at him then has then put his elbow there. “Should the FA look at it? That is for them to look at, not me.”Webb will have to decide today whether, using video evidence, he would have sent off Van Persie.Ferguson who was not asked about the incident during his immediate post match Sky Tv interview said: “The best we’ve played all season? I’d agree. In the second half against Spurs we were terrific, that was an absolute brilliant performance, but for the whole game today we were on the top of our game.“Last time we came here (in January for a 3-0 defeat) we were second to every ball. That didn’t happen today. There was a bit of pressure on us with City and Chelsea winning because you don’t want to fall far behind.“If we hadn’t won we would have been seven points behind Chelsea. We’re in the frame, we’re up there and obviously every game is important now because we want to stay up there and I think we can do that. “There was concentration and determination, everything you want to see in a team that’s going to win. Concentration is so important, the concentration and how we played in the first 20 minutes. It’s strange because for all of the good football we played we scored from two set-pieces. We’ll take it anyway.“Patrice has only scored two goals and Jonny Evans has only scored two, we’ll take it because these are the important games. All in all, I think the football was really good, the concentration was terrific and the determination was there.”Asked about Rooney’s string-pulling performance, Ferguson said: “He’s getting fitter all the time, with about 20 minutes to go I could see signs he was tiring a little bit, he’d put so much work into it. So I took him off. Some of his football was terrific.“He likes to work a bit more forward, but we set up the diamond with him in the middle of the pitch. It gives different options for us.”Rooney, whose form is good news for England in the World Cup qualifiers, said: “Everyone knows that coming here to Newcastle will always be one of the toughest games of the season. We came here and defended brilliantly and scored a few goals as well. “I’m OK playing where I am because I am involved in the games.”Cleverley said: “I meant that goal. I did. I meant to put it in the far corner. It’s a massive win here. With all the balls Newcastle put into our box, our goalkeeper and back four were fantastic.”Pardew added: “They had a golden 15 minutes when we could not see the ball. The goals are two set plays and we are very disappointed with them.”Newcastle thought Papiss Cisse had scored but David De Gea scooped it out. Pardew said: “We came out second half and you are talking inches away from scoring. I am still not sure whether it is all in, or it has stayed out. I might think it is a goal. But you’d like it conclusive.”last_img read more

Continue Reading