bshkcmcp

Tough measures used to gag media in run-up to elections

By on June 12, 2021

first_img EgyptMiddle East – North Africa February 1, 2021 Find out more November 25, 2010 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Tough measures used to gag media in run-up to elections Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff Receive email alerts Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders condemns an increase in measures to control news and information and suppress freedom of expression in the run-up to the parliamentary elections scheduled for 28 November. The measures, including practices regarded as a thing of the past, constitute a major step backwards after the progress seen in recent years. We fear even more repression in the run-up to the presidential election due to be held next year. Forced disappearanceReporters Without Borders is very worried about what may have happened to Attia Mohamed Mahmoud Abu-l-Ela, a freelance journalist employed by the Al Jazeera bureau in Cairo, who covered the use of violence by police and supporters of the ruling National Democratic Party against opposition politicians and their supporters at an election rally in Al-Sharqeya province on 20 November.Pursued by the police, Abu-l-Ela initially managed to get away but was arrested him at his home in the village El-Salam the following morning. No arrest order was shown by the police, who broke furniture while searching his home and confiscated journalistic equipment. There has been no news of him since then. Reporters Without Borders calls for his immediate release.Trumped-up chargeReporters Without Borders also reiterates its call for the immediate release of Youssef Shaaban, an Alexandria-based reporter for the independent online newspaper Al-Badil who was arrested while covering a demonstration on 20 November by residents of the Alexandria neighbourhood of Abu Suleiman, who were protesting against plans for their eviction.Shaaban, who is also a human rights activist, was arrested when he photographed a policeman beating protesters, Reporters Without Borders has learned. He was taken to a police station in the Alexandria district of Raml, where intelligence officers charged him with drug trafficking (http://en.rsf.org/egypte-journalist-held-on-trumped-up-drug-23-11-2010,38871.html).His case was immediately sent to the prosecutor’s office, which had him detained for an additional four days, supposedly for the purposes of further investigation. Since then, a further two-week extension to his detention has been ordered. Meanwhile Shaaban has still not been able to talk to his lawyers.Reporters Without Borders fears that he is being mistreated. The drug charge was clearly fabricated with the aim of silencing a journalist known for his outspoken reporting just a few days ahead of the parliamentary elections. This use of Tunisian-style methods to gag the media is very disturbing.Intimidation of journalists covering opposition campaignThe government’s campaign of harassment and intimidation of the Muslim Brotherhood in advance of the elections has also affected journalists covering this opposition party’s election campaign.Ashraf Khalil, a reporter for the English-language edition of the daily Al-Masry Al-Youm, was intercepted and threatened by state security police on 22 November after interviewing Mohammed Beltagui, a Muslim Brotherhood candidate for reelection as parliamentary representative of Shubra Al-Kheima, a district to the north of Cairo.As Khalil and a fellow-journalist left the district in a taxi, they were stopped by state security police. “They told us to get out of the taxi and demanded our identity papers and press cards,” Khalil told Reporters Without Borders. “In an aggressive tone, they also asked us for our authorization to work as journalists in this neighbourhood. I repeatedly explained that my press card had been issued by the ministry of communication and information.“We quickly realized that our official press cards meant nothing to these people. We spent more than half an hour like this, standing in a dark street surrounded by a dozen men in uniform who kept repeating that they were just following orders without bothering to tell us what those orders were.”Increased government control over broadcast mediaReporters Without Borders condemns regulations issued at the start of November designed to restrict live TV broadcasts. According to the latest communication and information ministry provisions, any media company wanting to do live broadcasting must obtain a permit from an official and pay 5,000 dollars (3,730 euros). But the ministry did not identify the official, specify how long the permit will be valid, or explain how to renew it.At the same time, many satellite TV broadcasters have received letters from the ministry ordering them to do all their live broadcasting from studios in 6th of October City, a satellite city 30 km southeast of Cairo.The authorities also launched a campaign on 11 October to control SMS messaging. Companies that send large amounts of SMS messages to mobile phones must now obtain a licence from the Telecommunications Regulation Authority. Other SMS content suppliers including political parties and news services must do the same. The licences can cost up to 88,000 dollars (65,670 euros).TV broadcasting closures, dismissalsOn 19 October, the communication and information ministry dropped many privately-owned TV stations from the government-controlled TV satellite operator Nilesat and threatened others with the same measure. Two TV presenters, Alaa Sadeq and Ibrahim Eissa, were dropped at the start of October after criticising the authorities (http://en.rsf.org/egypt-authorities-tighten-control-over-21-10-2010,38638.html). RSF_en Follow the news on Egypt News Newscenter_img Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution Organisation News January 22, 2021 Find out more EgyptMiddle East – North Africa News to go further February 6, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Continue Reading

kvvfwvhc

Robotic bus helps teach students about safety

By on May 24, 2021

first_img Pike County Sheriff’s Office offering community child ID kits Next UpBuster had a lot more to say but his sidekick, Bryan Nash, also wanted to talk.Nash, who has 30 years of experience in the public transportation field, joined Buster in an effort to let the students understand the important role they play in school bus safety.“You play a part in how safe the bus can be,” Nash said. “When you do something distracting and cause the bus driver to look up in the mirror, he or she takes their eyes off the road just for a few seconds, anything can happen. You Might Like McLendon honored with library naming The Sprayberry Education Center in Northport has named its new library in memory of Robert McLendon of Brundidge. McLendon’s granddaughter,… read more Published 8:36 pm Thursday, December 2, 2010 Book Nook to reopen Sponsored Content The students at Banks School had a blast with Buster the Talking School Bus Thursday but, when the laughter subsided, they took what Buster had to say seriously.Speaking in a robotic voice, Buster told the students that school bus safety is no laughing matter.“School bus safety starts at home,” Buster said. “Don’t get up and be running all around the house and be late for the bus. And, don’t miss the bus. If you do miss the bus, don’t run after it. Never ever run after the bus. And, when you line up at the bus stop, line up in a straight line with the tallest people in the back of the line so the bus driver can see everybody. And, when you are getting on the bus, wait for the bus to stop and stop traffic before you go to get on.” By The Penny Hoarder Email the author Plans underway for historic Pike County celebration Latest Storiescenter_img Troy falls to No. 13 Clemson By Jaine Treadwell Buster and his Side Kick told the students that, if they practice school bus safety, they are helping to keep themselves and all of their friends on the bus safe.Mike Johnson, chief of transportation for Pike County Schools, said the school system runs 33 bus routes that cover more than 1,700 miles and transports 1,723 students.“Safety is our main concern,” he said.The School Bus Safety Program was presented three times at Pike County Elementary on Wednesday and at Banks Schools on Thursday and will be presented at Goshen Elementary School today.It is sponsored by grant funding through the Pike County EMA. Remember America’s heroes on Memorial Day “It’s up to you to help keep the bus safe by sitting quietly and facing the front of the bus. Doing so also sets a good example for younger students. If they see you standing up or waving your hand out the window, they will think it’s all right for them to do that, too.”Nash told the students that most accidents involving children and school buses happen when buses are loading and unloading.“That’s the most dangerous time and most of those accident happen in the ‘Danger Zone,’” he said. “‘The Danger Zone’ is a 10-foot area all around the bus. When you are in the ‘Danger Zone,’ the bus driver cannot see anything in that zone. So, never step into the Danger Zone because, in a split second, something could happen.”Nash shared with the students incidents where injuries occurred when children where in the “Danger Zone” and out of the sight of the bus driver. Robotic bus helps teach students about safety Around the WebMd: Do This Immediately if You Have Diabetes (Watch)Blood Sugar BlasterIf You Have Ringing Ears Do This Immediately (Ends Tinnitus)Healthier LivingHave an Enlarged Prostate? Urologist Reveals: Do This Immediately (Watch)Healthier LivingWomen Only: Stretch This Muscle to Stop Bladder Leakage (Watch)Healthier LivingRemoving Moles & Skin Tags Has Never Been This EasyEssential HealthMost 10 Rarest Skins for FortniteTCGThe content you see here is paid for by the advertiser or content provider whose link you click on, and is recommended to you by Revcontent. As the leading platform for native advertising and content recommendation, Revcontent uses interest based targeting to select content that we think will be of particular interest to you. We encourage you to view your opt out options in Revcontent’s Privacy PolicyWant your content to appear on sites like this?Increase Your Engagement Now!Want to report this publisher’s content as misinformation?Submit a ReportGot it, thanks!Remove Content Link?Please choose a reason below:Fake NewsMisleadingNot InterestedOffensiveRepetitiveSubmitCancel Penny Hoarder Issues “Urgent” Alert: 6 Companies Are… Print Articlelast_img read more

Continue Reading