Local wrestling teams start slow, finish strong at Ellsworth tourney

By on September 20, 2020

first_img Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at [email protected] Bio MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020 Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 Latest Postscenter_img ELLSWORTH — With time ticking away, Brody Boynton flipped the script.In a hard-fought match, Boynton and Foxcroft’s Elijah Ames had been locking heads for close to a minute. That was disadvantageous to Boynton, who was trailing and needed four points an impossibly brief amount of time to put himself in position to win. With only 20 seconds left, only a pin could save him.Out of seemingly nowhere, Boynton pulled it off. He gained leverage, pinned Ames to the mat with only four seconds left and chest-bumped his head coach, Dan Ormsby, in celebration.“That’s big for points!” Ormsby yelled. Bucksport was, after all, not too far behind Foxcroft in the overall team standings entering Boynton’s 170-pound title match. This win brought the Golden Bucks even closer to a possible first-place finish at Satuday’s tournament in Ellsworth.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textBucksport didn’t quite edge Foxcroft for first in the end, but Boynton’s win was still an important one for the team’s confidence. Despite struggling at the start of the day, the Golden Bucks bounced back to finish in second place and join Ellsworth in the top three.“We didn’t exactly get off to the start we wanted to today,” Ormsby said. “A lot of wrestlers that have done well for us before struggled early, and that set us back at the start. Our team had to find a way to get back up there in points, and we did.”Bucksport and Ellsworth both had some top wrestlers come up a bit short. The Golden Bucks’ David Gross, who’s won several competitions at the 285-pound level this year, lost to Madison’s Matt Brown in the semifinals. For Ellsworth, Logan Lord fell to Medomak Valley’s Steven Thompson in a closely contested title bout at 138.The day would later take a bizarre turn for Ellsworth in the 182-pound title bout. Trent Goodman, one of several Ellsworth wrestlers being honored for the team’s Senior Day, suffered what appeared to bite marks on his forearm as he recorded a pin against Lee Academy’s Artem Loginov. Loginov was later disqualified as a result.“I just straight up got bit,” Goodman said. “It was just weird. I didn’t even know what happened at first, but right as I got the pin, my arm felt something.”Goodman was one of two winners on the day for Ellsworth. The other was Peyton Cole, who easily defeated each of his three opponents in the 152-pound weight class. The Eagles also had strong showings from Lord, Josh Wright, Scott Firley and Ethan DesJardin.Bucksport’s other winner was Foster Ashmore, who claimed the 120-pound title with a win over Ethan Moulton of Piscataquis. Gross, Keigan Riccard and Alex Burbank won their respective consolation brackets for Bucksport.“I think what we’ll take away from this day is that we’re capable of competing with anyone,” Ormsby said. “We were dealing with an injury to Devin (Darveau) today and didn’t start the way we wanted to,” Ormsby said. “If we’re healthy and start better, that win is right there.For Ellsworth, the mood was much of the same. Head coach J.F. Burns was happy with how his some of his wrestlers who didn’t place performed, but the team had to rebound from a tough start to the day.“It seemed to me that we had a bit of a slow start and got better as the day went on,” Burns said. “These tournaments are long, and if you can hold your own later on, that’s always a good thing.”The next meet for both teams will be at noon Saturday, Jan. 28. Bucksport will host the meet, which will include all Penobscot Valley Conference teams and others from around the state. Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020last_img read more

Continue Reading


Roos Weers’ two goals not enough in 3-2 loss to Louisville

By on September 16, 2020

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on October 20, 2018 at 12:12 am Contact Kaci: [email protected] More often than not, Roos Weers figures out surprises before they happen, her dad, Rob Weers said. At Thursday’s practice though, she didn’t expect the surprise that was coming. For 10 days, Rob planned his trip from the Netherlands to Syracuse. When he arrived, he went to practice to surprise his daughter. “She put so much effort in here so I thought, okay, I have to go,” Rob said. Typically, the Weers’ watch their daughter play on the livestream from home, as her mom did for Friday night’s game. Rob was there to walk Weers into J.S. Coyne Stadium when the seniors were honored. He was there to hold her orange flowers before a picture of the seniors and their families was taken. He was in the stands when she tied the game in the first half and again in the second half when she helped Syracuse (8-6, 1-5 Atlantic Coast) take the lead in Friday’s game against Louisville (12-4, 3-3). Rob was there when Lousiville scored with 30 seconds to go in double overtime to win, 3-2. “It was rewarding for myself,” Weers said, “but in the end we didn’t get the win and that’s why I am here. I wanted to get the win tonight for the team.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSyracuse’s leading scorer had two goals for the second time this season, advancing the Orange into overtime. The first came near the end of the first half. Louisville was already on the board when SU was awarded a penalty corner. Weers converted the corner into a goal and when a similar situation arose early in the second half, Weers once again scored off the penalty corner, this time giving the Orange the lead. Weers had a chance at a hat trick when she shot from the edge of the circle. The ball rolled through the legs of Chiara Gutsche and over the end line. It missed the goal by inches. “I’m happy I scored the goals, obviously,” Weers said. “If I’m going to be honest, I like to score against (Ayeisha McFerran), one of the best goalies in the countries.”With less than 10 minutes remaining, the Cardinals had the ball on Syracuse’s side of the field, inside the circle. Louisville called for a video review, claiming the ball bounced off a player’s foot. Weers and the rest of the team on the field ran to the sidelines. As they awaited the official call, Weers went to SU head coach Ange Bradley. Weers kept pointing to her heel.Soon after, the referees made their decision and awarded Louisville a penalty corner that Alli Bitting turned into the game-tying goal. Syracuse couldn’t respond and the game went to overtime, and then a second overtime. With seconds left of the clock, Louisville broke the tie to win. Weers was emotional after losing her last game at Coyne. She threw her stick on the ground and walked over to the fence. Rob stood in the bleachers above and talked to his daughter in dutch.Weers has 41 goals, enough to put her in Syracuse’s top five all-time goal scorers. She’s in the top ten for assists and points as well. Her offensive efforts kept the Orange in the game but Weers defensive efforts kept them there. Louisville got the ball in SU’s circle. Mercedes Pastor had nothing between her and the net until she got the ball into the circle. As soon as she reached a point she could shoot, Weers ran in front, intercepting the ball and stopping Louisville from scoring the then-game tying goal. As Weers left the field, her dad stood outside the gate. While the rest of her teammates passed, Weers walked over to her dad who enveloped her in a hug.“For him to come here and watch my last game,” Weers said. “It means a lot to me that they care, and I care about them.” Commentslast_img read more

Continue Reading