hdgviosa

Suit Accuses Nassau Police of Racketeering in Political Arrest

By on December 18, 2020

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nassau County police allegedly behaved like the mob when they arrested a Roosevelt man to try and coerce him into changing his testimony in an election case last year, a lawsuit claims.The 43-page federal suit claims that when ex-commissioner Thomas Dale ordered the arrest of Randy White, a campaign worker, at the request of campaign donor Gary Melius, they and others allegedly tried to use the criminal justice system to coerce him into changing his testimony, which was damaging to Melius’ candidate. That, the suit claims, constitutes racketeering—the civil version of a criminal charge prosecutors typically use against the mafia.“They treated him like John Dillinger…because politics played a role here,” Frederick Brewington, White’s attorney, told reporters Friday during a news conference at his Hempstead office. “They were trying to suborn perjury.”The civil rights lawsuit, which seeks $46 million in damages, also alleges that the 30-year-old man’s arrest involved abuse of process, unlawful search and seizure, selective enforcement, conspiracy to violate rights, negligence as well as assault and battery.Besides the ex-top cop and Melius—the Oheka Castle owner who survived being shot in the head in February—the suit also names the county, police department, sheriff’s department and two former police supervisors who were involved in the arrest: Ex-Chief of Detectives John Capece and Sgt. Sal Mistretta, who served White with a subpoena while in custody. At least nine others who were believed to be involved but have yet to be identified may be sued later.A spokesman for the sheriff’s department, which runs the county jail, where White was held, directed a request for comment to the county attorney’s office, which declined to comment, citing pending litigation—same as the police department. Dale, Capece and Mistretta could not be reached for comment.“It’s ridiculous,” Melius told the Press.Dale ordered White’s arrest in October at Melius’ request after White’s testimony in an election lawsuit effectively threatened the re-election campaign of Dale’s then-boss, Republican Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano. Melius originally wanted White arrested for perjury after White testified in an elections lawsuit that he was paid per signature while petitioning for ex-Freeport mayor Andrew Hardwick—a third-party county executive candidate who Melius funded amd Nassau Democrats argued was trying to siphon votes away from their candidate, Tom Suozzi, who Mangano had unseated four years prior.Although police found insufficient evidence for the perjury charge, they stopped a county bus to arrest White for not paying a $250 unrelated fine for previously selling bootleg CDs. White was repeatedly strip searched and was taken to county jail before being taken to court—which, according to Brewington, is excessive. Typically, arrestees are held overnight at local precincts or police headquarters before facing a judge, he said.Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice, a Democratic candidate for Congress, cleared Dale, other police officials and the Mangano administration of criminality. But, her office has said that the investigation into Mistretta, who has since retired, is continuing. Mangano fired Dale when presented with Rice’s findings.“I felt like I was public enemy No. 1, like I was a terrorist or something the way they were treating me,” said White, who noted that he was repeatedly asked about Hardwick while in custody. “I just felt violated.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

vtjilcpj

Ugandan, Zimbabwean Players for IBB Ladies Open

By on September 9, 2020

first_imgA former Lady Captain of IBB club, Mrs Ngozi Osuhor, expressed delight with the club for consistently hosting of the tournament in the past 19 years and for putting the event together this year in spite of the economic recession.The different categories for the event include: Category 1 for lady players in Handicap 0-28 flight, Category 2 for those in Handicap 29-36 flight, and veteran ladies in all categories.However, the tournament is a gross competition where the player with the best aggregate score over 36-hole in the Handicap 0- 28 flight will be crowned as the champion.The ladies will tee off on Saturday but only the 45 players that make the cut will be eligible for the final round on Sunday, February 12.The 45 finalists, according to the Competition Secretary, Nanfe Audu, will be presented with medals.The gentlemen will also play among themselves on Saturday as guests of the lady players.A former IBB Lady Captain, Dr Joyce Barber, said several NGOs, supporting charity causes, had made several appeals to the lady section to support different causes and give to the less privileged.Barber, however, said the ladies were considering holding a charity kitty before the end of tenure of the current committee.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Olawale Ajimotokan in AbujaLady amateur golfers from Uganda, Zimbabwe and Ghana will add international flavour to the 19th IBB Ladies Open Championship which holds in Abuja this week.Captain of the IBB Club Lady Section, Mrs Lami Ahmed, told journalists yesterday that 150 players from Nigeria and the international visitors have registered for the tournament.Various prizes and trophies will be won in different categories at the three days event which begin on Friday through Sunday.Ahmed said that players from 22 golf clubs nationwide will identify with the host club in ensuring the success of the tournament considered as one of the majors within the IBB International Golf and Country Club Abuja.last_img read more

Continue Reading

kvvfwvhc

Manila to host four ONE events in 2018

By on January 19, 2020

first_imgSteam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours FILE – ONE Championship: Kings of Destiny at Mall of Asia Arena last April 21. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netPouncing on the mixed martial arts boom in the country, ONE Championship is set to stage four events in the Philippines next year.ONE Championship chairman and CEO Chatri Sityodtong bared the development on Thursday as the Asia’s biggest mixed martial arts promotion announced its full 2018 calendar.ADVERTISEMENT How to help the Taal evacuees View comments Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scenecenter_img Mos Burger to open in Manila; teases with a pop-up MOST READ OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Four of ONE’s 24 fightcards next year will be held in Manila after hosting two events in 2017.“We have 24 massive shows planned for all sports fans in Asia and will continue to showcase the absolute best in martial arts, delivered by our homegrown martial arts superheroes. 2018 is going to be an epic year of action and I can’t wait to get things started,” Sityodtong said in a statement.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogONE events in Manila will be on January 26, April 20, July 28, and November 16, with the venues still yet to be announced.The promotion will stage one more event in the country this year, with ONE: Legends of the World set on November 10 at Mall of Asia Arena. /je In ‘Jojo Rabbit,’ Comedy and Drama Collide DAY6 is for everybody Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LOOK: Floyd Mayweather flaunts new $26M mansion in Beverly Hillslast_img read more

Continue Reading

kvvfwvhc

Storm causes barely a ripple

By on December 29, 2019

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita The light rain increased traffic collisions in Los Angeles County by only a slight amount Saturday. California Highway Patrol Officer Patrick Kimball said there were 150 traffic collisions from midnight Saturday to 4:40 p.m., compared to 114 for the same period a week ago. Forecasters expect partly cloudy skies today for the San Fernando Valley region, with highs in the mid-50s to mid-60s, and lows tonight in the mid-30s to upper-40s. Monday will be mostly sunny, with highs in the 60s to lower-70s. The vanguard of a Pacific storm reached the Southland Saturday morning, but the system wasn’t as powerful as initially forecast. By 9:15 a.m., light rain was reported in Santa Monica, West Los Angeles, Los Angeles International Airport, Van Nuys and Burbank, but only a tenth of an inch of rain fell on downtown Los Angeles and .20 inch on Burbank by 5 p.m., with other areas recording similar amounts. “It was a fast-moving cold front – we got the tail end of it – that just roared right through the West Coast,” said National Weather Service spokesman Bill Hoffer. Initially, forecasters were expecting rainfall amounts of 1 to 3 inches along the coast, and 3 to 5 inches in the foothills, Hoffer said. last_img read more

Continue Reading