British Horseracing Authority chair Annamarie Phelps tweeted Saturday about “very welcome support for the resumption of live sport incl horseracing” from Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden, linking to a front page report from The Sun newspaper about plans for events to be staged again.Dowden updated legislators earlier this week on his talks with sports governing bodies.___Despite high-profile reversals by Liverpool and Tottenham, Norwich has defended its decision to place some non-playing staff on furlough during the coronavirus outbreak.The Canaries are one of only two English Premier League clubs using the scheme. Employees receive 80% of wages from the British government up to 2,500 pounds ($3,000) although, in this instance, Norwich is making up the remaining 20%. April 25, 2020 The prop was suspended for hitting a Scotland player during their Six Nations encounter on March 8 at Murrayfield — the last match to be played in the competition.The French rugby federation says Haouas “can serve this punishment during confinement and can thus play again once the sporting season resumes.”France is in lockdown until May 11 because of the coronavirus pandemic.It is uncertain if and when the Six Nations matches can be completed.___ The Latest: France rugby player suspended during lockdown English Premier League team Chelsea says it will not impose a pay cut on its first-team squad and instead will ask players to continue their support for charities during the coronavirus pandemic.Chelsea also said it will not be furloughing any full-time staff, and casual workers and match day employees are being compensated by the club through to June 30.The Blues have been in negotiations with their players about a salary reduction, reportedly around 10%, in an effort to save money during the current crisis. That is lower than the Premier League’s suggestion of 30% for all clubs but Chelsea has now decided to take a different approach.Highlighting the PlayersTogether initiative launched by Premier League players earlier this month which aims to raise and distribute funds for National Health Service charities, Chelsea told its stars to focus their efforts on other causes.“Representatives of the Chelsea board have recently held extensive talks with the men’s first team to discuss how they can contribute financially to the club during the coronavirus crisis,” a statement on the club website said. “At this time, the men’s first team will not be contributing towards the club financially and instead the board have directed the team to focus their efforts on further supporting other charitable causes.” Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___France rugby player Mohamed Haouas will be free to resume playing after lockdown ends by serving his three-week suspension during it. ___The British government is increasing planning with sports bodies about the resumption of events once the coronavirus national lockdown is eased.Government medical officials are involved in the talks about the logistics and health procedures required to allow sports competitions to restart.The Premier League last played a game on March 9 and has plans to try to restart from June 8 once pandemic social distancing regulations are relaxed to allow training to resume for teams and there are sufficient COVID-19 tests available.The national lockdown is currently in place until May 7. Cricket authorities have already said their sport won’t resume until July, but horse racing is currently only suspended until June. Newcastle is the other top-flight club to turn to the job retention program while Liverpool, Tottenham and Bournemouth made U-turns on their decisions to furlough staff following heavy criticism.“The decision we made was in the best interests of the club and its staff. We’ve been very transparent that we’re run in a self-financed manner,” Norwich chief operating officer Ben Kensell told BBC Radio Norfolk. “Ultimately, if we had the available cash flow to not have to take up schemes then, like other football clubs have, we would.”Last-place Norwich, which has nine games remaining, is reportedly budgeting for a loss of between 18-35 million pounds due to the coronavirus pandemic.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 Associated Press
BiH junior handball team which will participate at the World Junior Tournament, hosted by BiH, will play an exhibition match in Visoko on 2 April at 7 p.m. against the team of Serbia, who’ll also participate at the tournament.BiH players will gather on 31 March and will train until 5 April.Manager of the team Zdenko Grbavac published the list of 18 players who’ll play for BiH team:Denis Serdarević (Fenix Tolouse), Josip Čavar (Redbergslids), Amer Novljanin (HC Midtjylland), Enes Skopljak (Bosna Visoko), Ivan Miličević (Čapljina), Andrija Bubalo (HSG Varel), Zulfić Muhamed (Bosna BHT), Josip Ereš (Izviđač), Petar Bubalo (HSG Varel), Elis Memić (Bosna BHT), Josip Perić (Bosna BHT), Said Ajkunić (Drott), Stefan Janković (Borac), Tarik Kasumović (HSV Götzenhain), Ivan Milas (Borac), Nemanja Bezbradica (Borac), Elmir Građan (Borac) and Damir Halilković (Bosna BHT).
Grand Cape Mount has reported an alarming upsurge of the deadly Ebola virus with 49 new cases registered so far.The Head of the Incident Management System (IMS) and Assistant Minister for Preventive Services at the Ministry of Health, Tolbert Nyenswah, making the disclosure Sunday at the IMS offices in Monrovia, said that of the 49 new cases reported, 27 were confirmed, 13 suspected and 9 probable, putting Cape Mount in the Red County Category second to Montserrado in the country.Describing it as unfortunate, Minister Nyenswah attributed the increase to migration of people suspected of the virus and the continuous denial by some residents that people are dying of the Ebola epidemic in the country.According to the Minister, many people are still observing traditional and cultural practices, which undermine the fight against the deadly Ebola virus and stifle efforts made by the IMS and other international and local partners. “We have people still traditionally preparing the dead body before burial and secret burials are still taking place in the county causing the spread of the virus. We need to desist from these (practices) with the deadly Ebola virus still threatening,” he stressed.There is a high level of complacency and gross disregard for the preventive measures that were laid down by the Ministry of Health and its partners to contain the spread of the Ebola virus, he said.Minister Nyenswah reported that people in Cape Mount were not observing constant hand-washing with soap and chlorine solution. He said that they are also keeping sick people in their communities, getting in close personal contact with them and often do not report suspected Ebola cases.With the alarming number of new cases in the county, the IMS and its partners will open the Ebola Treatment Unit in Sinje and move in with more ambulances and health workers to ensure that the situation is put under control. “We are also installing new Labs in the next two weeks to have more people tested. We will also carry out a massive mobilization of partners to support the county health team in ensuring the IMS does not have any problem of containing this outbreak in the county,” Minister Nyenswah added.The Minister disclosed further that the 49 reported cases from Cape Mount have generated over 200 contacts in and outside of the county, which he said needed urgency to contain the situation. He appealed to local residents to work with health practitioners to address the problem.Monsterrado County remains the hotspot of the Ebola Virus Disease, but the IMS and partners are working to ensure that ‘zero new cases’ is achieved and Liberia is declared Ebola free, he said.He added that Nimba, which has not reported any case for the past 63 days, has now reported one new case, but the IMS is working to guarantee that all measures are put in place to handle the situation there.The Minister emphasized that only behavioral change of every Grand Cape Mount citizen and resident will help to stop the spread of the virus, stating that everybody needed to adhere to all the preventive measures to break the transmission of the Ebola disease.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)