A council in London is to introduce the UK’s first local star ratings for letting agents.The London Borough of Newham is to publish a ‘star rate’ for all agents advertising properties for rent or managing properties within the borough, giving them between one and five stars depending on their track record.The list will then be published on the council’s website and updated regularly.Newham has already rated local agents but until now has not published the detailed list of results.It says 71 per cent, or 109 businesses, are 3 stars or above, while 29%, or 43 agents, remain non compliant with the council’s Fair Lettings Projects and fall below 3 stars.As part of the initiative, the council has spent the past two years auditing all agents operating within the borough.Agent auditThe audit looked at agent performance, compliance with the law, delivery of best practice, and customer feedback, as well as which agents have in the past “failed to refund deposits, pass on rental income, charged unjustified and astronomical fees or failed to address complaints”, the council says.After an agency has been awarded a star rating they have 21 days to appeal if they believe any information used to determine the rating is inaccurate or out of date.“The extreme demand in the private rented property sector is being exploited by some unscrupulous letting agents, who rip off landlords and tenants,” says the Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales (pictured, left).“We have seen tenants charged outrageous fees and had deposits withheld, and landlords who never see the rent that is due to them.“The law gives us limited powers to act against these cowboys, but by scrutinising their activity, and sharing information with our residents and landlords, the ratings should see the unscrupulous agents pushed out of business, while professional and hard working agents are rewarded.”The borough also operates a landlord licensing system and is one of the few local authorities to bring prosecutions against errant landlords in large numbers; so far 1,1000 prosecutions have been started.London Borough of Newham letting agents Sir Robin Wales August 9, 2017Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » First system of star ratings for letting agents launched previous nextFirst system of star ratings for letting agents launchedNewham is to publish its rating for each of boroughs 150+ agents based on two-year audit and appeal period.Nigel Lewis9th August 201701,962 Views
Last Friday, February 26th, Anders Osborne came out firing for his first-ever headlining performance at the Capitol Theatre. Osborne has had a strong beginning of 2016, and has a new album called Spacedust & Ocean Views due out early this year. In celebration, Osborne brought his New Orleans-influenced sound to the famed Port Chester venue, with Tom Hamilton’s American Babies on as support.Naturally, fans who were keeping their fingers crossed for an Osborne-Hamilton collaboration got their wish, as the JRAD guitarist linked up with Osborne during the middle of his headlining set. Hamilton joined in for “Back On Dumaine,” an Osborne original, before segueing into a cover of Grateful Dead’s “Bertha.” Watch video below via Sean Roche:The band also covered Bob Dylan’s “Masters Of War,” seen below:Check out photos from the night, courtesy of Andrew Blackstein: Load remaining images Setlist: Anders Osborne at The Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY – 2/27/16Set: 5 Bullets, Pleasing You, Big Talk, Lafayette, Back On Dumaine > Bertha > Masters Of War, Pontchartrain > Coming Down, Windows, Move Back To Mississippi, Charlie Parker, Me And Lola (?)Encore: The Lucky One, It’s Gonna Be OkayCheck out Andrew Scott Blackstein Photography‘s full gallery below:
Dear Editor,It is now approaching the fourth year since the coalition Government assumed office and the Guyanese masses are astoundingly disappointed by the increasingly high levels of corruption which is being perpetrated by this Government whose campaign platform was based on the eradication of corruption by removing the previous PPP/C Government. Some were gullible enough to accept this even though a casual perusal would have exposed the fact to them that it is the same old PNC which dominates the APNU and you cannot expect a drastic transformation from the 28 years of thievery, mismanagement, and institutionalised corruption.I cannot help but recall Moses Nagamootoo’s startling ‘political theory’ which he revealed in January 2016 at Queens, New York. He said, “you should have a President for only one term or five years after which the leader should be changed since the ‘thieving’ starts in the second term”. He further added that “in 50 years, we have only changed Government twice…you have to think about changing Government as quickly as possible as you can, as periodically as you can, because thieving is a disease”.Now, it is ironic that Nagamootoo failed to recognise the endemic corruption which has engulfed his Government almost as soon as they took over the seats of Government. He was part of the Cabinet’s decision to pay themselves between 50-100 per cent wage increases supposedly to remove the temptation to be involved in “thievery” with his salary, perks and eventual pension greatly surpassing that of former President Bharrat Jagdeo. The masses were given an increased dose of the illusionary “good life”, our standard of living continues to plunge while more than 30,000 persons became jobless with many communities being transformed into ‘zombie zones’ overnight.While it may be that Nagamootoo was targeting a third term for Jagdeo and was referring to him, it cannot be so interpreted when he said that, “you have to think about changing Government as quickly as possible”.The coalition was already in Government, hence he must be taken to mean that if a Government does not perform well according to the expectations of the electorate then it must be changed. Therefore, this is exactly what the majority of the representatives did on December 21, 2018. This is what ‘Sovereignty of the people’ means. The Constitution, in Article 106 (6), provides for this – to remove a Government if it is corrupted and not performing to expectations by way of a “no-confidence motion”.In just four years, corruption has eaten away many of the economic gains made by the PPP/C Government. It must be recalled that our economy, under the PNC, was bankrupt and 95 per cent of our GDP went to pay debts. Today, our US reserve which the PPP/C Government has managed to accumulate over the years has fallen by over 50 per cent while the cost of living has spiralled with no solution in sight.It has been documented that the APNU/AFC Government has been involved in more corruption in its four-year tenure compared to the old PNC Government, beginning from the undisclosed cost of inauguration ceremonies of the President, the D’Urban Park ‘thievery’, the US$18 million signing bonus, the $30 billion GuySuCo bond, the GPHC single sourcing of $605 million in drugs, the Sussex Street ‘Condom’ bond, the Demerara Harbour Bridge feasibility study, the ‘rehabilitation’ of the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, the blatant breaches of the procurement laws to facilitate bribery and ‘kickbacks’, the awarding of contracts to cronies like the awarding of the Corentyne Highway road slashing and cleaning, the rental of Broomes’ mansion, the Annette Ferguson affair and others too numerous to mention. It has also been one scandal after another, a media recently disclosed a number of these.Nagamootoo should now accede to the fact that his Government has failed the electorate who have now decided that a ‘change in Government’ is now vital and the ‘disease’ eradicated for the nation’s survival!Yours sincerely,Haseef Yusuf
A fine Wednesday morning to you from former Oakland Athletics lightning rod Jose Canseco, who wishes to share a couple of thoughts.Our science is totally irrelevant to aliens— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) January 30, 2019 This is going to rock Bill Nye’s world. But wait, there’s more:Time travel puts 42,651 pounds of pressure on a human skeletal structure…. can you detach the brain from the body and equalize the pressure it could be done— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) January 30, …
China Eastern Airlines will significantly expand its Australian footprint to 58 weekly services over the Christmas-New Year holiday period as it moves to take advantage of a 23 per cent growth this year in the number of Chinese visitors heading Downunder.The carrier, which this month introduced Boeing 777-300ERs to the Australian market, said Wednesday it would be serving six mainland Chinese cities from Sydney. The six cities are its home town of Shanghai, Hangzhou, Beijing, Kunming, Nanjing and Wuhan.The increased footprint comes from a mix of new and seasonal services and coincides with the airline’s 60th anniversary as well as a celebration of two decades of non-stop flying to Australia.The new routes include Sydney to Hangzhou , which began on November 16, and Sydney to Kunming which launches Thursday with an official function in Sydney.Still to come is Brisbane – Shanghai on December 17 as well as Sydney- Beijing as a codeshare with alliance partner Qantas and Sydney-Wuhan, both in January. In addition, airline will boost its Melbourne to Shanghai service to double daily flights over the holiday season between November and February and move its four-times weekly Brisbane-Shanghai service to a daily frequency over the same period. Sydney flights to Shanghai also get a boost to double daily over the holiday season.China Eastern general manager Oceania Kathy Zhang said the airline would add an additional 3003 seats a week between Australia and China.“China is Australia’s largest source for tourists and China Eastern Airlines is geared up to service this demand.’’ Ms Zhang said. “Our investment in new routes demonstrates CEA’s commitment to extending Australia’s tourism footprint to important secondary cities in mainland China.“It deepens global business opportunities, as reflected by the China-Australia Free Trade Agreement (ChAFTA), provides greater connectivity for passengers and directly connects two of the world’s most respectful cultures, acting as a gateway for Australia to the globe.’’The new Boeing 777-300ERs on Shanghai services from Melbourne and Sydney offer a three-class configuration with a total seating capacity of 316 seats. The aircraft is outfitted with six first class open suites, 52 flatbed business class seats and 258 standard economy seats. All seats across each class on flights to Australia to China are equipped with personal TV, Wi-Fi and AC power ports.Tourism Australia lists China as Australia’s most valuable market, with Chinese visitors spending more than $A7.7 billion annually and that figure expected to rise to $A13 billion by 2020.But Chinese airlines have also been pitching themselves as a new way for Australians to access markets such as Europe.China Eastern serves nearly 94 million travellers annually and ranks among the world’s top 5 airlines in terms of passenger transportation volume by the end of 2015. It is a member of the SkyTeam global alliance, which gives its access to 1052 cities in 177 countries as well as a global network of lounges.
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The U.S. Census Bureau has launched a national recruitment effort to hire approximately 500,000 temporary workers to help conduct the 2020 Census. Nearly 4,000 local recruiting events are scheduled to take place this week in communities across the nation.“We need people to apply now so they can be considered for part-time census taker positions next spring,” said Timothy Olson, Census Bureau associate director for Field Operations. “Recent high school graduates, veterans, retirees, military spouses, seasonal workers and applicants who are bilingual are highly encouraged to apply. It’s important we hire people in every community in order to have a complete and accurate census.”It also is important that every person in rural communities is counted. Census takers will be hired to work in their communities and go door to door to collect responses from those who do not respond to the 2020 Census online, by phone or by mail.These positions offer competitive pay, flexible hours, paid training and weekly paychecks. Pay rates vary depending on where the job is located. The Census has a pay rate calculator online.The selection process for census taker positions begins in January 2020, with paid training occurring in March and April. Actual enumeration of nonresponding households throughout the nation begins in May through early July. Visit the 2020 Census website for listings of available census taker and other jobs.About the CensusThe 2020 Census officially starts counting people in January 2020 in remote Toksook Bay, Alaska. Most households in the nation will receive invitations in the mail to respond (online, by phone or by mail) in March 2020. The Census Bureau will begin advertising nationwide in January 2020 to increase awareness about the importance and benefits of participating in the 2020 Census.The U.S. Constitution mandates that a census of the population be conducted once every 10 years. Census data are used to determine congressional representation in the states and how billions of dollars in federal funds are distributed to states and local communities every year for critical public services and infrastructure, including health clinics, schools, roads and emergency services.For more information on the 2020 Census, visit 2020census.gov.
zoom South Korean shipping giant Hyundai Merchant Marine (HMM) has been selected as the preferred bidder for a terminal in Algeciras, Spain, owned by its bankrupt compatriot Hanjin Shipping.The company earlier said that it would purchase of a 100 percent stake in Total Terminal International Algeciras, situated at Port of Algeciras Bay, from its owners, including IBK Securities Co Ltd, according to Reuters.Although it did not reveal the financial terms of the transaction, HMM said that it is expected to be finalized in late December.TTI Algeciras counts with a concession area of 300,119 square metres, 57,621 square metres of public manoeuvring zone and two quay lines of 850 metres on the East and 550 metres on the North, with a draught of 18,5 and 17,5 metres, respectively.The terminal is capable of handling Ultra Large Container Vessels (ULCVs) with an equipment of 8 ship-to-shore cranes, 32 automatic stacking cranes and 22 shuttle carriers.Earlier in November, the company lost the race for Hanjin Shipping’s Asia-US route network.South Korea’s shipping company Korea Line Corp, which was selected as the preferred bidder for the network signed the KRW 37 billion (USD 31.4 million) purchase deal earlier this week.The agreement includes Hanjin’s business network and client information related to the route, subsidiaries and logistics management systems in seven countries, including the U.S., China and Vietnam.World Maritime News Staff
DAWSON CREEK, B.C. — Aspiring professional chef and Dawson Creek resident Jen Jenkins is sadly out of contention for the title of Masterchef Canada, after she was eliminated on last night’s episode.Jenkins first cracked the Top 12 during the show’s season premiere in April. The 28-year-old stay-at-home mom had managed to make the Top 7 of the show’s competition, which featured the return of contestant Kaegan Donnelly from Vancouver after he won a redemption challenge. The eight amateur chefs were split into two teams to create a three-course tasting menu inspired by the Group of Seven for seven Order of Canada recipients. Sadly, the Red Team ended up rallying after nearly falling apart to beat Jenkins’ team in the challenge, meaning the team’s four members now had to stave off elimination. The four had to compete in the Pressure Test / Replication Challenge, which involved replicating oysters prepared three different ways. The first was a Japanese-inspired sake poached oyster with Asian pear slaw and shelled lobster claw. The second was a raw oyster topped with mignonette sauce, champagne jelly, and red tobiko, and the third was an oyster Rockefeller with béchamel spinach purée, sautéed oyster mushrooms with panko crumbs. Marissa Leon-John ended up winning an impromptu oyster-shucking contest, meaning Jenkins was up against Donnelly and Beccy Stables in the final challenge, which she sadly lost. Despite being eliminated from the show, Jenkins’ future in the culinary industry looks incredibly promising. Jenkins and her family will be moving to Ontario later this year after she was accepted to the Stratford Chefs School. Jenkins said that she’ll begin her studies next fall, with the goal of achieving her dream of being paid to do what she loves: cook delicious food.
CRANBROOK, B.C. – The provincial government announced today that it has given a funding increase to 4-H British Columbia, which is aimed at increasing the participation of urban and Indigenous youth in 4-H club programs.Agriculture Minister Lana Popham made the announcement while visiting the local 4-H club in Cranbrook with 4-H B.C. president Heather Serafini.B.C.’s 4-H clubs are supported by youth development staff from the Ministry of Agriculture. They hold workshops on rural youth leadership, provide educational material to help youth complete hands-on agriculture projects and provide information on the variety of career opportunities that are available in B.C.’s agriculture sector. “4-H B.C. teaches the values of head, heart, hands and health and encourages its members to become involved in their local community,” said Popham. “I am proud to be part of a government that is investing in our province’s young people. This increase in funding will help even more B.C. kids learn about our province’s agriculture industry, while learning how to care for their animals, develop leadership skills and make lifelong friends.”The ministry said that it will provide $150,000 in funding for the 2018-19 fiscal year, which is an increase of $63,000 over previous years.4-H British Columbia has almost 2,300 members in 125 clubs throughout the province.“We would like to thank the Ministry of Agriculture for its generous contribution to the 4-H program,” said Serafini. “The ministry’s commitment to 4-H B.C. and our programs enables us to build stronger and more knowledgeable youth in communities throughout B.C. and to reach youth in all areas of our diverse province.”