grzfjmlj

The promise to disabled people that every station

By on July 31, 2019

first_imgThe promise to disabled people that every station on London’s much-delayed, £15 billion Crossrail project would be step-free from the moment it opens looks increasingly likely to be broken.Four years ago, a two-year campaign by disabled and older people led to promises by Transport for London (TfL) that every one of its stations would be step-free, at least from street to platform-level.Disabled campaigners had been furious when they found out that seven of the Crossrail stations would not be accessible to wheelchair-users, but their campaigning led to further funding from TfL and the government to ensure that every one of the 41 stations would be step-free.But Disability News Service has established this week that at least one of these stations is unlikely to be step-free by the time the new line finally opens next year, with question-marks over several others and contracts for some of the projects to install lifts still to be awarded.Transport for All, the user-led organisation that campaigns on accessible transport in London, first raised concerns last week, saying on Twitter that the news that some stations could open without being fully accessible to disabled and older people was “totally unacceptable”.Stage four of Crossrail – now renamed the Elizabeth line – which will see trains running into central London from Shenfield in Essex, is due to open in May next year.But work by Network Rail to make Ilford and Romford stations step-free still does not have a completion date, while it is seeking funding from the government’s Access to All scheme to install a lift at one of the platforms at nearby Brentwood, due to “technical challenges”.There are also question-marks over whether work being led by TfL to make Maryland, Manor Park and Seven Kings on this eastern branch step-free will be completed in time for its planned opening next spring.Stage five of the scheme, with trains running from the west into central London, is also beset with delays, with the current date for opening now not likely until December 2019.Work to make Acton Main Line, Hayes and Harlington, Southall, West Ealing, Ealing Broadway and West Drayton step-free has been delayed, with Network Rail unable to provide any completion dates for the work, although it says it is “underway”.TfL work to install lifts at Hanwell, Iver, Langley and Taplow, on the same western stretch of the line, is also not due to be completed until the end of next year.The central section of the line, with its 10 new stations and tunnels, has been delayed from next month until next autumn at the earliest, although all these new stations will be step-free from street-level to train when they eventually open.Network Rail said the delays with step-free work were largely because “design work has taken longer than envisaged to incorporate the upgrades suggested by local authorities and communities”, while “some elements of the tender review process for the main ticket hall works have taken longer than expected as we seek to ensure maximum value for money for the public purse”.A Network Rail spokesman added: “We do not yet know if there is a change to the target dates for Stage 4 (Shenfield into the central section) and Stage 5 (Reading into central section) so at this stage it is not possible to say what will be complete by the time the Elizabeth line actually opens.”A TfL spokeswoman said: “There were some issues with the design of lifts at stations in the east.“This, combined with the limited access time on stations to complete the work, has led to some delays in the delivery.“The vast majority of the work at the stations takes place during planned weekend closures throughout the year to enable staff to work safely.”She added: “The Elizabeth line will completely transform the accessibility of the transport network for passengers across London and the south east.“All 41 stations will be step-free to platform level, staffed from first to last train, with a ‘turn up and go’ service offered to anyone needing assistance.“All of the parties involved – TfL, Network Rail, Crossrail Ltd and the Department for Transport – remain 100 per cent committed to delivering these benefits.“We continue to work closely with Network Rail, who are working to deliver vital accessibility improvements at some of the stations on the above-ground parts of the route to the east and west of the central section.”Picture: One of the trains that will run on the Elizabeth line A note from the editor:Please consider making a voluntary financial contribution to support the work of DNS and allow it to continue producing independent, carefully-researched news stories that focus on the lives and rights of disabled people and their user-led organisations. Please do not contribute if you cannot afford to do so, and please note that DNS is not a charity. It is run and owned by disabled journalist John Pring and has been from its launch in April 2009. Thank you for anything you can do to support the work of DNS…last_img read more

Continue Reading

grzfjmlj

KEIRON Cunningham thought the best team won after

By on

first_imgKEIRON Cunningham thought the best team won after his side were downed 26-16 in Catalan.Although the Dragons were reduced to 12 men for the second half, Saints couldn’t find enough points to gain a valuable win.“We had plenty of opportunities but we were really dumb,” he said. “My halves and hookers were really dumb especially when Catalans lost a man.“We were out enthused at times. You get what you deserve in rugby league and we got what we deserved today.“The sending off – that’s a tough one for me to comment on really. I’m not sure I would be happy if it was my player but a shoulder barge is a banned tackle. There was contact with the head and Josh has split his face.“Likewise, the first try for us was a tough one too but there were plenty of things that went against me tonight that I was disappointed with.“I don’t want to get into officials as last time I came here and spoke about officials it end up costing me a lot of money. All I can say it was a very strange game.“I thought big Alex and Greg Richards did well but that was about it really. In the end Scott Dureau taught my halves how to play rugby league. He was superb.“We simply have to play better. We didn’t play well at all. What the reasons are I’m not sure; we will reflect on it and see where we go and see what decisions the players want to make going forward.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

grzfjmlj

Maurice Mizzi resigns following racist remarks

By on

first_img <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a> The Ministry for the Environment, Sustainable Development and Climate Change announced that Minister José Herrera has accepted Maurice Mizzi’s resignation. Mizzi was the Chairman of the Guardian for Future Generations.Herrera thanked Mizzi for his work in the past two years and also noted his valuable feedback on various subjects related to sustainable development during his tenure.This resignation comes after a couple of weeks ago Mizzi created controversy after he passed “racist comments”. A number of NGOs had united in criticism against Mizzi comments. The organisations said that Mizzi seemed to have forgotten the responsibility that comes with the role that he has been entrusted with. They stressed that peace is an essential pint for the development of future generations.They also stated that it is not true that certain religious beliefs may create hindrance to the development of a state and added that his comments instigate hate, which should be contained not propagated. They have also asked for Mizzi’s immediate resignation or dismissal from his position as Chairman of the Guardian for Future Generations.Following this controversy, Minister Herrera had asked for an urgent meeting with Mizzi, and the Ministry had dissociated itself from Mizzi’s comments.WhatsApp SharePrintlast_img read more

Continue Reading

grzfjmlj

Listen Delia must go – Joseph Grech

By on

first_img SharePrint Dr Joseph Grech, President of the youth movement of the Partit Nazzjonalista (MŻPN) will today Saturday, vote in the General Council of the PN in favour of asking Adrian Delia, leader of the PN, to resign.What was Grech’s answer to these and other questions by Fr Joe Borg during Newsbook Hour broadcast on radio 103 Saturday at 9.00.a.m.Will the PN win the next election if Delia resigns the leadership of the PN?If today the majority opts for Delia will you still form part of the PN?Ivan Bartolo, one of the movers of a motion asking for Delia’s resignation said that he has no problem with Delia, adding that the problem were the other members of Delia’s team. If Delia is not the problem why are you asking for his resignation?If Delia resigns the PN faces a lot of uncertainty. Louis Galea said that he will not stay on as an interim leader. Who can take Delia’s place?Delia has a lot of support. Are you conscious that you can loose all these votes if Delia resigns?Is it fair to use a difficult family situation, edited videos and a statement presented in Court conveniently two days before this vote, to damage Delia’s reputation and his chances of winning?Do you consider the list of voters as one fairly representing those who have the right to vote?When Lawrence Gonzi the the elections for the European Parliament no one asked for his resignation. Why are you now asking for the resignation of Adrian Delia. WhatsAppcenter_img <a href=’https://sp2.img.hsyaolu.com.cn/wp-shlf1314/2023/IMG12716.jpg” alt=”last_img” /> read more

Continue Reading