Salford fire Girl three becomes fourth child victim of blaze as pair

September 25, 2019

first_imgEmergency services at the scene of the house fire Credit:Peter Byrne /PA A three-year-old girl left fighting for her life after a house fire has died in hospital, as a man and woman charged with murdering three other children in the blaze appeared in court.Zac Bolland, 23, and Courtney Brierley, 20, entered the dock together at Manchester Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday for a brief hearing and were further remanded in custody.The pair are accused of murdering Demi Pearson, 15, her eight-year-old brother Brandon and seven-year-old sister Lacie, who all died following a blaze near Salford, Greater Manchester, on MondayBoth defendants also appeared in court accused of arson with intent to endanger life and the attempted murders of the victims’ mother, Michelle Pearson, 35, and three other children.Later, police confirmed that a girl left fighting for her life in hospital has since died. The girl is believed to be three-year-old Lia Pearson, police said. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily  Front Page newsletter and new  audio briefings. In court, no details of the case were presented as District Judge Khalid Quereshi said the matter was too serious to be dealt with in his jurisdiction and will be heard again on Thursday at Manchester Crown Court.Bolland and Brierley – both wearing grey jogging bottoms and grey tops – spoke to confirm their names and give their addresses and dates of birth. When asked what their nationality was, both replied: “White British.” The pair, both of Worsley, were in the dock for less than two minutes before they were led away by prison officers.Ms Pearson remains in a serious condition in hospital and is unaware her children have died.Two 16-year-old boys were also in the house in Worsley, but managed to escape before fire crews arrived.Greater Manchester Police (GMP) previously confirmed there had been “earlier incidents” at the address and said the force referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.It is understood the voluntary referral was in response to police contact with the family less than 24 hours before the fatal incident. Emergency services at the scene of a house fire  Forensic officers at the scene of the house fire in Worsley, Greater ManchesterCredit:Peter Byrne /PA Chief Superintendent Wayne Miller, of GMP, speaking at press conference on Tuesday, said: “I can’t imagine what the family are going through. My heart breaks for them, it really does.”Detectives were on Wednesday continuing to question a 25-year-old man arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of murder.Two men, aged 19 and 20, also arrested on suspicion of murder were bailed pending further inquiries, as was a 24-year-old man detained on suspicion of assisting an offender.  Forensic officers at the scene of a house fire on Jackson Street in Worsley, Greater Manchester, last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *