… APNU/AFC Govt continues to disrespect the country’s Constitution – FITUGLess than 24 hours after President David Granger announced that March 2, 2020 is the earliest date that National and Regional elections can be held, the Federation of Independent Trade Unions of Guyana (FITUG), stated that “constitutional dark clouds” continue to hover over Guyana as his announcement did not comply with the country’s Constitution.“Rather, we dismayingly saw, a perpetuation of the charades that the Coalition has been engaged in over the last nine months. The President’s intimation of a tentative electoral date is practically an unheard-of phenomenon and is now the latest ploy dispatched by the Administration as it continues its disrespectful attitude towards the Constitution. We recognize too that the President is seeking Parliamentary support regarding extending the life of his Government”, the Union stated in a release to the media.It stated that the “undoubted late acceptance of this reality” is definitely a clear admission by the President that his administration stands on weak legal grounds, if any at all.“Even its moral authority to govern is now in question, the President’s sentiments, of course, contradict what the he and other Coalition officials have said previously on the matter. In his address, President Granger drew attention to the upcoming Golden Jubilee of Republicanism as a rationale for announcing his possible electoral date. While the Jubilee is indeed a proud moment for our nation and all Guyanese, it, undoubtedly, will be overshadowed by the utter and blatant contempt for the rule of law and our fledgling democracy.”According to the Union, it appears that the Government is unfazed by the genuine and germane criticisms that has been levelled at it, and that the actions of the President in relation to announcing a fixed date for elections to be held as early as possible are blatant disregard and disrespect of the country’s Constitution.“It seems, that the Granger-led Coalition Government is prepared, at all costs and consequences, to continue to squat and usurp Executive power though it has legitimately lost its right to govern. The continued denial of the Guyanese people inalienable right of franchise, a struggle that was ignited by the Trade Union movement, is disheartening and a step in the wrong direction. Today, the peace-loving and democratic forces must again retrieve our nation from undemocratic and illegal rule.”Meanwhile, the Association of Concerned Guyanese-USA (ACG-USA) is calling on the President to pronounce on a date for elections now, without any further delays.In an issued statement by the association, it stated that the legal time frame that President Granger enjoyed as Head of State in Guyana from 2015 is now up.“He and his cohorts are now illegally occupying the offices of the government, since the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) is ready but he continues to disregard the Constitution and continues to refuse to set a date for the elections. It is not a choice; it is required by the Constitution of Guyana. Set the date now. The ACG-USA joins with the ABE countries and other democratic forces and demand an immediate announcement on the date for the elections.”The ACG-USA stated that it condemns “the delaying tactics of the illegal regime” and call upon other democratic nations and organisations to join with it in the demanding an immediate statement on the date for the elections.On Wednesday evening, almost a year of procrastination after his Government’s defeat to a No-Confidence Motion has finally resulted in caretaker President David Granger announcing March 2, 2020, as the “earliest possible” date for elections.Granger also noted that there will be a return to the National Assembly in order to seek an extension of time for his government in office.Blaming the Elections Commission again, the President said that the extension of a period beyond three months for the holding of an election is related to the GECOM’s readiness to hold the elections.“The Government of Guyana must, as a consequence, return to the National Assembly to request an extension. The National Assembly reconvenes on 10th October 2019. The President is required to both dissolve Parliament as provided for in the Constitution at Article 70 (2) and the ten Regional Democratic Councils as provided for in the Constitution at Article 73 (2),” Granger also said in his address.Following an address to the nation by the caretaker President, the PPP said that the illegal President ended yet another address to the nation with the Guyanese people being no clearer than they were before.
A Grande Prairie man has been tasered following an altercation Thursday.The Grande Prairie RCMP responded to a complaint at 3pm that day. When they arrived, on scene they found one intoxicated and aggressive man. Police attempted to arrest the 27 year old man, but the altercation ended with the man being tasered.The taser pushed the man through a set of patio doors and he received minor cuts to his hands. Charges are pending against the Grande Prairie man and the investigation continues. – Advertisement –
On Sunday mornings, residents say, the church draws more than 2,000 people to the Villa Verde Drive neighborhood. “We have a tremendous safety problem,” Villa Verde resident Barry Stone said. “When the church is in session, you couldn’t get a fire truck up or down the street. “They want to put in another 900 cars, and when you fire them up, you’ve got pollution, noise and more congestion,” he added. Church officials believe their expansion plans will actually solve the existing traffic problems by taking traffic off of Villa Verde and onto Colima Road. Officials have proposed linking the church’s parking lot with the Murphy Ranch Little League’s parking lot, which is accessed from Colima. “Right now the only access road in and out is Villa Verde,” said John Ortberg, executive pastor for the church. “We feel that, by getting an entrance on Colima Road, we would take a lot of the burden and traffic off of that area. WHITTIER – Plans for a new 34,000-square-foot sanctuary at Whittier Area Community Church are months from being reviewed by the Whittier Planning Commission. But already, the proposed expansion is drawing the ire of residents who live across from the church. Church officials have proposed building a new sanctuary capable of holding 1,600 people, as well as a new parking lot. City officials are reviewing the plans, which are not expected to be seen by the Planning Commission for another three months. But word of the expansion has already reached the church’s neighbors, who have been showing up at City Council meetings recently to complain that traffic from the church already is severe, even without any expansion. “We’re doing our best to be good neighbors,” Ortberg added. “We think this plan will be a good thing. It will allow the parking to be done on the church, and having another entrance will help.” Church officials estimate the new parking lot will cost about $5 million. The church has raised that money, Ortberg said. The new sanctuary will cost between $8 million and $12 million, officials said, but the amount has yet to raised. Formerly known as Whittier Area Baptist Fellowship, the church has been at its location since 1976. Membership continues to grow, forcing officials to use a multi-purpose room as its worship center. But the building can hold about 900 people, while the new sanctuary will accommodate 1,600, said Dave Chacon, chairman of the church’s board of directors. “Our attendance is up and we’re operating in a 25-year-old building that always was planned to be temporary,” he said. The proposed new parking lot would provide about 900 spots, twice as many as there are now, officials said. But the growth in membership is what has neighbors upset. “It’s more of a convention center than a church,” resident Missy Reyna said. “It’s a beautiful church, but I think they’ve outgrown it. On Sundays, it’s crazy out here.” firstname.lastname@example.org (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
0Shares0000The International Football Association Board meeting in Zurich is expected to rubber-stamp a move already backed by FIFA’s top brass, to use video assistant referee technology (VAR) at this summer’s World Cup © AFP/File / Oli SCARFFZURICH, Switzerland, Mar 3 – Football’s law-making body on Saturday was set to approve the use of video assistant referee technology (VAR) at this summer’s World Cup, overriding purists concerned about technology disrupting the game.The International Football Association Board (IFAB) meeting in Zurich is widely expected to rubber-stamp the move already backed by FIFA’s top brass, including president Gianni Infantino. VAR can only be used when there is doubt surrounding any of four key game-changing situations: after a goal, penalty decisions, after a straight red card or in cases of mistaken identity.It has already been implemented in top European leagues including the German Bundesliga and Italy’s Serie A — along with tests in multiple other leagues — but opinion is still divided.UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin said this week that European football’s governing body would not introduce VAR in next season’s Champions League due to ongoing “confusion” surrounding its use.Others have voiced concern about video assistance being used too often, slowing down the game and possibly breaking a team’s momentum.That is an issue confronting major North American sports like baseball and American football, where different forms of video replay have been in use for several years and where calls to shorten match length have risen.— Access to information —But the desire to avoid ferociously disputed calls — especially in high-profile moments — appears to have tipped FIFA to support using VAR at this summer’s World Cup in Russia.One iconic example that VAR could theoretically have prevented is Diego Maradona’s “Hand of God” goal that saw Argentina beat England in the 1986 World Cup.For Infantino, who will be on hand Saturday for the IFAB announcement, international football cannot allow anyone with a smart-phone having access to better information than a World Cup referee.“In 2018 we cannot anymore afford that everyone in the stadium and everyone in front of a TV screen can see within a few minutes on his phone whether the referee has made a big mistake or not, and the only one who cannot see it is the referee”, he said last month.“So if we can help the referee then we should do it,” he added.Representatives of the 32 teams that have qualified for the World Cup meeting in the Black Sea resort of Sochi this week voiced confidence that the expected VAR rollout would be a positive for the tournament.“This is the new life. This is modern life,” said Iran head coach Carlos Queiroz.“It is obvious that football cannot go on with its eyes closed to the modern world.”burs/bs/dmc0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
talkSPORT’s Spanish football expert Graham Hunter claims Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez will move to Real Madrid.The Red Devils striker has been linked with a move away from Old Trafford this summer, following Louis van Gaal’s appointment.It was thought the La Liga giants were interested in Monaco star Radamel Falcao but, speaking to the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show, Hunter believes the Mexican will be only forward moving to the Spanish capital on transfer deadline day.“I’m assured, by Real Madrid, that Javier Hernandez’s move from Man United will go ahead and that’s enough for them.”
The Red Arrows flying over the Clipper fleet at the start of Race 15 at Greencastle.Thousands packed the banks of Lough Foyle this afternoon to witness the Red Arrows’ aerial display at the start of the 15th leg of the Clipper Round the World Yacht Race.There were lengthy tailbacks on all roads leading to Greencastle and Moville in Inishowen – and Magilligan and Benone on the other side of the lough – as spectators gathered to witness the spectacular send-off.Earlier, the 12-strong fleet, led by the Derry “LondonDerry” DOIRE home boat – which had spent six days in Derry during the LegenDerry Maritime Festival – was given an enthusiastic send-off from Foyle Marina in the city. Thousands also gathered in Derry city centre last night for a spectacular fireworks display on the penultimate night of the nine-day festival which ends today.Today the spectacular show was over Donegal as thousands lined the shoreline. INCREDIBLE DISPLAY BY RED ARROWS OVER GREENCASTLE AS CLIPPER FLEET SAILS was last modified: June 29th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Greencastlemovillered arrows
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Bruce Springsteen and his 17-piece “Seeger Sessions Band” took the 5,700 members of its sold-out Greek Theatre audience to church on a Monday night, delivering a rollicking concert that mixed spirituals and rousing political anthems in equal measure. The two-and-a-half hour show was unlike any the 56-year-old Springsteen has ever performed, and the crowd responded with nothing short of jubilation, dancing, clapping and singing along to a set list that was dominated by songs from Springsteen’s recent album, “We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions,” a collection of songs popularized by folk singer Pete Seeger. The last time Springsteen swung through town with a band that didn’t hail from E Street, it was 1992 when he played with a largely anonymous fill-in band during a three-night run at the Sports Arena. Fresh from breaking up the beloved E Street Band, Springsteen said he wanted to work with new musicians who would inspire fresh ideas. None of that was on display then. Now, though, Springsteen has clearly found what he was looking for – and then some. Monday’s concert was among the high points of the rocker’s storied performance career with Springsteen and his ragtag band making a joyful noise that incorporated zydeco, bluegrass, ragtime, Tex-Mex, swing and Southern soul. At times, Springsteen himself feigned ignorance at what he was about to play. Introducing a radically recast “Johnny 99” from “Nebraska,” he said, “Here’s a little folk punk.” Before playing another old song, “Ramrod,” he mumbled, “Tex-Mex, ska, polka, punk-funk … I’m not sure what this is.” How about all of the above? While Springsteen and his fantastic group of horn blowers, violinists, guitar pickers and vocalists were adept at skipping between musical genres, they kept a fairly singular focus on the music’s message. This was a cathartic cacophony, protest songs and gospel hymns sung for those who have come before and those who are currently dispossessed. Performing Blind Alfred Reed’s Depression-era “How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?”, Springsteen added three verses, recasting the song as a commentary on the federal government’s failure in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. “Them who’s got, got out of town / And them who ain’t got left to drown.” (Springsteen should put this song – not found on “The Seeger Sessions” – on I Tunes immediately.) Springsteen also sang a reverent version of “We Shall Overcome” (“a song sung so much you start not being able to hear it – a shame”) and the beautiful Seeger-penned anti-war anthem, “Bring Them Home (If You Love Your Uncle Sam).” (“If you love this land of the free / bring them home, bring them home / Bring them home from overseas.”) And yet, the main focus of the evening as it has been throughout Springsteen’s career, was not on political broadsides, but on community. You could get that simply by looking at the overstuffed stage filled with smiling musicians wearing fedoras, ties, vests and suspenders. (A Springsteen band hasn’t been this sharply dressed since Clarence Clemons roamed the earth in his white suit.) Or you could get it by the sheer number of sing-a-longs that the audience gladly joined in. Mostly, though, you got it through a song-by-song emphasis on inclusion, a statement that people – no matter their economic standing – matter, that we’re all in this together, climbing “Jacob’s Ladder” one rung at a time (Tom Hanks, sitting near the stage, did a great pantomime of this action), each generation hopefully getting a little bit higher than the last. Do I hear an amen? I thought so. Glenn Whipp, (818) 713-3672. email@example.com
JARLA BLOWS THE WHISTLE ON THE WHISTEBLOWERS SCANDAL! was last modified: March 27th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cartoonGardaiJarlawhistle-blower
It’s another action packed weekend at Voodoo Venue Letterkenny.Friday it’s top local band Humble Earth Worms live in Voodoo lounge followed by DJ Kevin Lennon till late. Club Voodoo it’s DJ Paddy Friel spinning the tunes, admission €5.Saturday it’s Escapade live in the lounge followed by DJ PK. In club Voodoo it’s special guest DJ Ivan Boreland. Admission €10.Check out our new GLISTRR APP on Facebook to get on our Guestlist or Cheaplist.Another innovative first for Voodoo Venue Letterkenny.You can get on the Guestlist or Cheaplist for any events for the next 3 months. For more details check us out on Facebook.Voodoo Vintage now taking booking for this Saturday night call 0749109815 Monday to Friday or email firstname.lastname@example.orgVoodoo venue is open from 9pm and we hold tables until 11pm.Voodoo Venue Letterkenny ENTERTAINMENT HQ IN THE NORTH WESTPLENTY OF ‘ESCAPADES’ TO BE HAD THIS WEEKEND AT VOODOO VENUE was last modified: August 22nd, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:EntertainmentFeaturesnewsVOODOO
“It wasn’t great. There were guys slipping all over the place … During the AstroTurf craze of the late 1960s, baseball slugger Dick Allen famously stated, “If a horse can’t eat it, I don’t want to play on it.”Dick Allen, meet Seahawks coach Pete Carroll.Appearing on his ESPN Seattle radio show Monday, one day after the Seahawks lost to the 49ers in Santa Clara, Carroll said the Levi’s Stadium playing surface was as he expected: “really lousy.”To the point of being equine-unfriendly?