Government is currently in the process of formulating a definite plan to create job opportunities to address the unemployment situation in Guyana, according to Finance Minister Winston Jordan.During a news conference on Monday, Jordan indicated that he was aware of the high rate of unemployment in the nation and would be working to have this addressed in the near future.Jordan disclosed that the Government had requested the support of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) in facilitating an official survey on unemployment.He said there were no exact figures on state of the labour force in Guyana.Finance Minister Winston JordanHowever, Jordan confirmed that it was the aim of the Government to have the survey completed so that a strategy could be crafted, which would efficiently address the state of the labour force.“Not for many years have we had an official unemployment rate, all along we have been dealing with proxies. The last Government wasn’t interested in letting anybody know what the official rate was, there have always been proxies about it. But an official internationally accepted calculation, this is what we will be going for as soon as the IDB finishes with its technical assistance,” he stated.Meanwhile, Head of the Statistics Bureau, Lennox Benjamin admitted that the rate of unemployment from the last census had been recorded at between 10.7 and 11 per cent.In order to strategise on what can be done by the Government to reduce the rate of unemployment, Benjamin said a labour force survey was essential, but this has not been carried out for almost a decade.He related that in 2008, they had done rigorous work with the US Bureau of Census to derive exact figures on unemployment, but at the time of implementation, permission was not granted to go ahead with the process.As a result, the two entities were unable to have the national survey commence without the aid of the government or funding agency.“Let me just qualify this by saying that when a national survey is put in the field, the first thing that has to happen is that the approval of Cabinet has to be given. When the approval of Cabinet is given, the funding has to be secured either by Government or by funding agencies, or a combination of both. So, we have not had a full-blown labour force survey for several years, possibly touching on a decade and in the interim what is used is what we call proxies,” he explained.Benjamin disclosed that they have just completed intensive work with the IDB consultant team and they were looking to have a labour force survey completed.According to him, the survey is set to begin in January of next year. This will be conducted, along with a living conditions survey that is expected to commence in August of next year.Over the past month, the Guyana Trades Union Congress (GTUC) along with other unions, has been calling on the Government to reintroduce job creation programmes, which had been eliminated.The Union had indicated that letters had been sent to the President, the Opposition Leader and the Speaker of the National Assembly to have their appeals heard for more emphasis to be placed on creating jobs for Guyanese.
– Advertisement –
Ibrahimovic to Southampton, Balotelli to York and Henry to Moor Green – Your best ever Football Manager signingsBy admin on December 30, 2019
Zlatan Ibrahimovic signs for Southampton? 1 When it comes to Football Manager, everyone has got their favourite ever signing.It could be the time you tempted Francesco Totti to Tottenham, the talented teen you scouted for weeks in Torquay, or maybe it was the loanee who helped you take Lincoln into League One.These signings become engrained in your life indelibly, heroes forever, even when you’ve picked up the latest copy of the game.With Football Manager 2016 hitting the shelves, new legends are about to make their mark.But we want to celebrate those who blazed a trail in seasons past before we embark on campaigns future, so we asked you, the talkSPORT listener, who your best ever signing is – and you didn’t disappoint.See some of the best responses we received on Twitter below…
PATSY McGONAGLE’S FINN VALLEY AC REPORT: John Kelly was in Glasgow’s Kelvin Hall Saturday for the Scottish age group indoor championships.And once again he excelled getting the 5kg shot out to 14.23 a new personal best and talking from the venue before heading home later that evening his dad John expressed the view that the young man was delighted and is starting to look good.At the same time in Magherfelt a squad of young guns were in action chasing qualification for nationals and some 19 of them medalled which will encourage them no end. Aaron Mc Glynn recording a double in 60m/600m pretty impressive and as the results indicate a good day overall so well done coaches and parents that travelled to support .GoldAaron Mc Glynn Boys 2000 60m & 600m 1min 48Secs,Denver Kelly Boys 1999 600m 1min 47.2 SecsCieran Brady Boys 1999 high Jump,Sommer Lecky Girls 2000 Long Jump 3.53m Danny Browne Boys 1999 Long Jump 4.21m,Madeline Penrose Girls 1,500m WalkShaun woods Boys 1994 400m 54.21,Boys 1999 4X100m RelayGirls 1998 4x200m RelaySilverNaoimh Mc Granaghan Girls 1999 Shot 8.65m,Shaun Woods Boys 1994 High Jump 1.70m Kathy Bannigan Girls 2000 Long Jump 3.23m,Sommer Lecky Girls 2000 60mBronzeCharles Mc Daid Boys 1999 600m 1min 51Secs,Janine Boyle Girls 1999 60m & Long Jump 3.96mGirls 2000 4x100m Relay,Girls 1999 4x100m Relay 4th Place finnishersAmy Mc Crossan Girls 1999 600m,Danny Browne Boys 1999 60mFINN VALLEY YOUNG GUNS SHOW POTENTIAL was last modified: March 6th, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
IT’S a truly marvelous picture of sporting rivalry and friendship.Friendships were put on hold during the County U14 Final as county teammates Megan McGee and Orlaith Gillespie went head to head.After the match though, there were no hard feelings between the two friends. A great example of how it should be the way in sport. THE PICTURE WHICH SHOWS TRUE SPIRIT OF SPORT IN DONEGAL was last modified: July 5th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:THE PICTURE WHICH SHOWS TRUE SPIRIT OF SPORT IN DONEGAL
8 December 2011While South Africans will have to wait a while before they can buy an electric vehicle (EV), at least a dozen of the zero-emission cars have been doing the rounds in Durban since the start of the UN climate summit (COP 17).Some COP 17 delegates have been taking advantage of the opportunity to test-drive the Nissan Leaf – “Leading, Environmentally friendly, Affordable, Family car” – which was named World Car of the Year 2011, and the Renault Fluence Z.E.These vehicles are also being used to shuttle people to and from Durban’s International Convention Centre, venue of the climate talks.Taking a test-driveBuaNews found a few minutes to test-drive the vehicles. Initially, looking at a car with a steering wheel on the left hand side brought about some panic, but a few minutes inside and it was all smooth sailing.The cars are easy to drive (automatic), but it takes a bit of time to become acquainted with their technical aspects. Highly advanced features offer the driver detailed maps, information about energy being used, and battery recharging stations.EVs are being sold in Europe, Japan and the US and are expected to be launched in South Africa in a few years’ time.Nissan has announced plans to launch the Nissan Leaf in South Africa in 2013, subject to the successful conclusion of discussions between the government and the motoring industry on the establishment of charging infrastructure and the introduction of customer incentives.Smaller carbon ‘wheelprints’The EVs, which can be charged from purely renewable energy sources, such as solar and wind power, aim to play a critical role in reducing the impact of climate change.The cars’ batteries can be charged at home. Although they’re more expensive in some countries, people who own the cars are assisted by their governments with free parking in busy cities, tax rebates and other incentives.How often one recharges the battery depends on the driver – if the air conditioning and lights are used often, then the batteries would have to be charged accordingly.For music loving South Africans, the good news is that using your radio or CD player takes up minimal energy.The money that is expected to be saved on petrol is another selling point of the cars. They’re a pleasure to drive, knowing that one is not increasing the carbon footprint. It’s an effortless adventure, with no sounds coming from the engine or exhaust pipe.Renault TwizyAt Durban’s Moses Mabhida Stadium, people can also test-drive a Renault Twizy, an easy-to-drive commuter vehicle that can be plugged into many conventional wall sockets.The Twizy, designed to be an antidote to the air and noise pollution plaguing some of the world’s biggest cities, can be a bit strange to drive. If you are not a fan of scooters, this little vehicle may not be for you.“The Renault-Nissan Alliance applauds what South Africa and all the nations represented at COP 17 are doing to reduce the threat to our environment and standard of living due to global warming,” said Hideaki Watanabe, Renault-Nissan Alliance managing director: Zero Emission Business.“The Alliance wants to be part of the solution for a sustainable society,” said Watanabe. “Our electric vehicles – which consume no fuel whatsoever – offer a real and affordable solution to drastically reducing CO2 emissions.”Source: BuaNews
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Do you have problems or issues with weeds, slugs or planting into cover crops? Are you concerned about federal policy and the next farm bill? Do you have a question about a no-till topic not covered by the agenda below?The goal of the Ohio No-Till Council is to answer your questions and solve your problems at the annual conference, Dec. 6, at Der Dutchman Restaurant, Route 42, Plain City.How about planting into cover crops? You will learn how to set closing wheels for green covers and how to eliminate hairpinning (for either green or dead covers). A pusher bar is recommended for tall cover crops. For planting cover crop seed, a planter works best for a single variety. Or with individual hoppers, you can have two varieties in alternate rows, such as Austrian winter pea and oilseed radish. A drill works best for multi-species covers. Bill Lehmkuhl and Bret Margraf will lead this discussion to close the morning program.The program opens at 9 a.m. Arrive early to enjoy coffee, donuts and visit with exhibitors. The first topic is “Battling slugs, voles and other varmints that love no-till and cover crops.” Learn from the experiences of three panelists: David Brandt, Fairfield County; Mike Daley, Consultant; and Neil Badenhop (Valent).Another panel will discuss federal ag policy, especially as it relates to no-till. The Moderator will be Joel Penhorwood of Ohio AgNet and scheduled panelists are Bill Richards, Mark Smith, and Fred Yoder.The annual No-Till Awards will be presented just before lunch. Recipients are: Frank Gibbs, Fisher’s Ag Service, Nathan Wilson, and two students, Chet Margraf and Bernard Kuether. Kale Marketing sponsors the plaques.The afternoon program begins with Steve Groff of Pennsylvania. He has a distinguished history of no-till innovations and is now coaching farmers on cover crops. His topic is “Cover crops, no-till, and marketing opportunities forcrops (and livestock) grown on healthy soil with conservation practices.”Three no-till farm families will share their own no-till story. You will hear a variety of situations, challenges and solutions. The three are: Nathan Wilson, Pickaway County; Nathan Brause, Crawford County; and Vince, Dan and Tyler Uetrecht, Warren County.The closing speaker will be Jeff Stachler, OSU Extension in Auglaize County. He studied weeds for his Ph.D. and will discuss strategies and practices to battle resistant weeds, including waterhemp, Palmer, and rag- weed. Even if you don’t currently have a problem, you likely will soon if you don’t plan to prevent infestations. The program will wrap up about 4 p.m. CCA credits will be available.
Thousands of bird watchers are helping ecologists decipher changing patterns of where birds spend the winter: Increasingly, birds that fled south for the season are staying put. As temperatures have risen over the past 2 decades, the mix of bird species flocking to winter bird feeders in eastern North America is changing, according to a study published online on Thursday in Global Change Biology, which used data collected by birding enthusiasts through Project FeederWatch. Tiny birds that used to be scarce in the frosty New England weather—Carolina wrens (above), chipping sparrows, and yellow-rumped warblers—have become an increasingly common sight. Overall, the types of birds found together shifted northward by 70 kilometers each decade, according to the study. It’s possible that other changes—primarily habitat loss—might have altered bird communities as well. But scientists have observed similar results in bird communities in Europe, as well as for individual bird species in North America, persuading researchers that climate is key, said lead author Karine Princé, an ecologist at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. No word yet on whether changing bird feeder demographics might have ecological ripple effects, as newcomers compete for scarce food in winter. But, Princé says, it’s a “strong possibility.”
The Prime Minister also urged the People of Indian Origin (PIO) cardholders to convert their cards into Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cards. Related Items
Internet surfing while flying in Indian skies may become a reality soon after the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) issues the relevant parameters. The authority is working towards allowing “inflight connectivity (IFC)” and setting up a rule framework by this month-end, TRAI chairman RS Sharma said on Dec. 13.“We will issue the parameters for IFC of by the end of this calendar year, which means in the next 15 days or so,” Sharma was quoted as saying by the Times of India.The government plans to have the first draft by the year-end and a final policy by March 2018, NDTV reported.The Aviation Ministry put in the recommendation two years ago that IFC be allowed. Since then, the proposal has been going through various ministries, including the Home Ministry, for security clearances until it came to the Department of Telecommunications.TRAI had issued a consultation paper about IFC two months back, which stated: “Department of Telecommunications (DoT), through its reference dated August 10, 2017, has requested TRAI to furnish its recommendations on licensing terms and conditions for provision of IFC for voice, data and video services and associated issues such as entry fee, licence fee, spectrum related issues including usage charges and method of allocation.”The authority was looking into whether Internet should be allowed to fliers from the moment they board the aircraft until they deplane or when the aircraft reaches the altitude of 3 km. They were also looking into whether Indian fliers should have access to both internet and mobile communication services.The two main types of IFC services are Wi-Fi services onboard and mobile communication services onboard aircraft (MCA). As per the telecom regulator, there has been demand for MCA services as well. The regulator says that MCA is usually operated at the minimum height of 3,000 meters above ground level to avoid interference with ground-based mobile networks.“In light of the growth of ‘gate to gate connectivity’ worldwide, as a consequence of the removal of altitude restrictions on the use of personal electronic devices (smart phones, laptop etc.), stakeholders’ view can be solicited whether internet services be made available from the boarding gate of the departure airport until the disembarking gate at the arrival airport,” it says.According to TRAI, a study predicts that the number of aircraft offering wireless connectivity will rise to 14,000 by 2022 .“This study also projects that approximately 5,000 of these aircraft will offer both Wi-Fi and cellular options. In-flight connectivity has come a long way since its inception a decade ago. Since 2007, in-flight communication services have been introduced by airlines in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East and South America,” the consultation paper added.The consultation was open to public until Oct. 27 and open to counter comments until Nov. 3 on the TRAI website.At many as 80 per cent passengers would use Wi-Fi if offered on board a flight, the International Air Transport Association’s (IATA) 2014 global passenger survey had showed. Related ItemsAviationTelecom