Prince, a 38-year-old native of Holland, Mich., started Blackwater with a few commando buddies from the Navy, using millions of dollars he inherited from his family’s auto-parts fortune. For its headquarters, he chose a tiny community called Moyock, on a remote, empty stretch of North Carolina swampland. A year after leaving the Navy in 1996, he founded Blackwater primarily as a training center for law enforcement. After the 2001 terrorist attacks, Blackwater expanded to become the largest of the State Department’s three private security contractors. Since 2001, it has earned more than $1 billion in federal contracts. The company first drew attention in 2004, after four Blackwater contractors were killed while escorting a convoy through the Iraqi city of Fallujah. When the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform investigated that incident earlier this year, Prince sent Blackwater’s attorney to represent his company. A few months later, he grew uncomfortable on stage as photographers snapped his photo at a technology conference in suburban Raleigh. Conference officials later asked the photographers not to publish the photos. By Mike Baker THE ASSOCIATED PRESS RALEIGH, N.C. – Since founding Blackwater USA a decade ago, Erik Prince has gone to great lengths to avoid attention, trying to prevent photographers from taking his picture and demanding that his contractors never speak with reporters. The veil of secrecy was lifted Tuesday as the former Navy SEAL was called to Congress to defend his security company against allegations it covered up the killings of Iraqi civilians. When in public, he often uses his hand to shield his face from cameras. Former and current colleagues demur when asked about him, not willing to betray Prince’s loyalty or annoy the secretive leader. “He’s trying to run a business and run it professionally under strenuous conditions,” said Scott Traudt of Cohort International, a Lebanon, N.H.-based competitor. “Realistically, there’s ongoing projects by (terrorist groups) to collect data on private contractors.” Prince’s family has long-standing ties to the GOP in Michigan, where his sister, Betsy DeVos, once served as chair of the state Republican Party. “We strive to perfection,” Prince told the the House committee Tuesday, noting that 30 contractors have died working for Blackwater.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
LETTERKENNY GAELS CLUB NOTESApplications are invited in writing for our Reserves, Under 21 and Minor Football Team Manager Posts. Written applications must be lodged with Jim McGlynn, Club Secretary by email or post not later than Friday, 8th January 2016. Further Information is available on our Club Website, Facebook and Twitter.There are still remaining Donegal GAA Yearbooks available which can be purchased by contacting 087 2931458. Priced at only €10 these 212 page glossy publications include full coverage of all things GAA in the county and also a comprehensive review of the season at Letterkenny Gaels. The annual Presentation Buffett took place last Tuesday night in the Arena 7. The Club Person of the Year was awarded to James Frain while presentations were made to the following players:Senior Players of the Year: Darren Hunter and Kevin Kilkenny, Reserve Player of the Year: Bobby Carey, Most Improved Player of the Year: Sean McDonagh, Under 21 Player of the Year: Conor McBrearty, Minor Players of the Year: Shane Graham and Cormac Cannon. For a full review and photos of the night please see our Club Facebook.The club AGM has been rescheduled for Saturday 16th January at 6pm in our Club Room at the Glebe. All club members are asked to make every effort to attend.Tickets for the GAA National Draw are now on sale. This is a great way of raising much needed funds for the club. Tickets priced at €10 are available from club members. For details of prizes see Letterkenny Gaels Facebook page.Camogie training and the winter league for u-8 & u-10 teams resumes on 29th of January from 6-6.45pm at the LYIT. U-12 camogie and girls circuits will also resume on 29th from 7-8pm. New members always welcome. Contact 086 8163505 for more details. Hurling training for u-6 to u-13’s resumes on Monday 25th January from 6-7pm at the Aura. All welcome. Please note change of time and venue. Contact 086 8405785 for more details.Underage football will resume on Friday 5th February at 6pm for u-6 at Woodlands NS and u-8 in the Aura at 7.30pm.Underage football presentation night will be on Saturday 30th January in the Gaels Club Room.For regular club updates and photos see our club web page, Facebook page or follow us on Twitter @LetterkennyGaelGAA NEWS: LETTERKENNY GAELS SEEK NEW MANAGERS was last modified: January 5th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Letterkenny Gaels notes