Haile Selassie High and St Catherine High will meet in a rescheduled Group K Manning Cup second round game at Constant Spring Complex today. Match time is 3 p.m. The game was originally scheduled for November 1 but was postponed due to a water-logged surface at the venue. Now, the teams will be engaged in a game that will determine whether they can advance to the semi-finals. Wolmer’s lead the group on six points from two games followed by St George’s College (3), with Haile Selassie and St Catherine both without any point from one game each. That means a win for either team will put the winner in with a chance of advancing to the last four. When the teams met in their first game during the preliminary stage, St Catherine won 1-0, while Haile Selassie won by a similar scoreline in the reverse fixture. Since the departure of veteran coach Geoffrey Maxwell from Haile Selassie, the team has suffered two straight defeats and has not looked like the same team that dominated the preliminary stage, winning nine of 10 games and making a historical appearance in the prestigious FLOW Super Cup. They will rely on influential captain Ricardo Phipps, Akeem Grandison, Hamish Smith and Omari Grant for a win today. Coach of St Catherine, Anthony Patrick, said his team is confident that they can beat Haile Selassie for the second time this year. “I know it is going to be a difficult one, as earlier in the season we beat them 1-0 and they also scored a 1-0 win against us. It will be a keen contest,” Patrick told The Gleaner yesterday. ‘They are without coach Geoffrey Maxwell and that will give us the edge. But when he was there, we also did well. We are confident that we can win the game, but it will take overall team effort,” he also shared. St Catherine’s key players include Rajveil Brown, Shamar Solomon, Shemar Vee and Davany Morgan.
Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil LATEST STORIES Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names MOST READ Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ PBA IMAGESGo-For-Gold halted its two-game skid after demolishing the winless AMA University, 135-91, in the PBA D-League Foundation Cup Monday at Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig.The Scratchers remained in second place with a 5-2 slate while AMA dropped to 0-7.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Go-For-Gold led by as many as 53 points in the latter part of the fourth frame, 135-82.Go-Fo-Gold had a balanced scoring with seven players in double digits led by Eric Pili’s 25.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’Ron Dennison had a triple-double with 10 points, 11 rebounds, and 11 assists.Andre Paras led the Titans with 23 points and 14 rebounds. Ma. Angelica D. Garcia Gorayeb on PayMaya loss to Creamline: ‘This is our worst game’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
A number of persons were rushed to the West Demerara Regional Hospital on Sunday afternoon following an accident at Parfaite Harmonie, West Bank Demerara (WBD).Angela Reed, her mother and her two children were travelling in Toyota Rav 4The unidentified driver of the minibusPKK 6389 when it collided with minibus BTT 9621, which was carrying several passengers.Guyana Times understands that around 12:15h, Reed, who was the driver of the Rav 4, was transporting her children and mother from church.According to information, the minibus was travelling from Parika and attempted to overtake a line of vehicles, but the bus collided with the car as it was about to turn onto the Parfaite Harmonie main road.Reed’s mother, Nazeema Alli, who sustained serious head injuries, spoke with this publication and related what happened.According to the woman, she was in the front seat of the car while her two grandchildren were in the back.She said that they were unaware of the approaching vehicle up to the point ofThe minibus toppled twice and ended up on its sideimpact. “We are coming from Livingworth and we were about to turn unto the road when all of a sudden, the bus came from the back and hit the back of our vehicle and we skid a far distance away.”She further explained that her daughter was disoriented after she hit her head, and fought to regain control of the vehicle.The minibus toppled twice before ending up in a nearby trench. A crowd gathered and public-spirited persons rendered assistance. Those injured, which includedThe damaged Toyota Rav 4children were quickly rushed to the hospital.Unconfirmed reports indicate that the group in the minibus were all headed to the creek and were said to have been consuming alcohol.Up to press time, the injured were still at the hospital receiving treatment. The Police have launched an investigation into the accident, and charges are expected to be laid against the driver of the minibus.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! POOR Van Nuys. You’ve got to feel bad for a community that has neighborhood after neighborhood seeking names of their own. San Fernando Valley’s oldest community has already lost portions of its territory to residents who broke off and formed Lake Balboa and Valley Village. And now residents in a goodly chunk of the remaining neighborhood – that on the west side of the 405 Freeway – are applying to the city to break off and join Lake Balboa. There’s a certain sense to the argument by the proponents who say they share more in common with the neighborhood of Lake Balboa than Van Nuys. But those fighting to keep the already-depleted Van Nuys together argue that changing a name of part of the Valley’s historic central neighborhood won’t change the gang crime and other problems. Though the proposal is merely a name change – no one is actually moving anything anywhere – there is sure some hard squabbling over the proposal. Residents ought to be able to call their neighborhoods more or less whatever they want. After all, it’s all still Los Angeles, and not even a new moniker is going to improve their quality of life – unless of course there’s some dramatic changes at City Hall.
MINNEAPOLIS – A former court clerk is in a fix. She’s charged with fixing 73 of her own parking tickets to avoid paying $5,112 in fines and late fees. Dawn Nyberg, 32, of Blaine was charged with theft by swindle of public funds, forgery and misconduct by a public officer. The first two charges are felonies; the last is a misdemeanor. Hennepin County District Court Administrator Mark Thompson said he had not seen anything similar in his 13 years with the court. Nyberg’s tickets were issued near the Hennepin County Government Center, averaging one every 10 days over two years. “The presumption is she was parking the car around here and coming into work,” Assistant Hennepin County Attorney Tom Fabel said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The complaint alleges that Nyberg used her access to a county computer system to expunge her citations or enter incorrect information about her vehicle. Most times, Nyberg used her personal login, but sometimes she used other employees’ names, the complaint said. Nyberg paid no fines on any citations except the final two tickets, which she paid when she resigned June 25, 10 days after the trouble came to light. She did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment Friday.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre It’s going to take teamwork, they said. Dale Bonner, secretary of the state’s Business, Transportation and Housing Authority, noted that some areas in Southern California have higher-priority transportation needs than others, especially those supporting goods movement corridors. “No one will get everything they’re requesting,” Bonner said. “The real issue is: We can’t fund everything. We’ll have to take a hard look at what gets funded now and what gets funded in the future.” Each year, counties compete against each other for millions of dollars in state and federal transportation funds. Some need major freeway interchange and lane-addition improvements, while others need an overhaul at traffic-laden train crossings or on-ramps and off-ramps. Whatever counties’ individual needs are, one thing is for sure: they all have major congestion issues and are in dire need of fresh transportation dollars. ONTARIO – If we stand together, we might be able to garner a whopping $1.7 billion for freeway, road and train crossing improvements. That was the message transportation and government officials from San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, Los Angeles and Ventura counties talked about Monday at the Ontario Convention Center. The annual Mobility 21 transportation coalition event marks the first time officials from five counties gathered to hear the pros of working together in vying for state and federal transportation money. But speaking as one voice – instead of competing against each other – is going to take a change of habit, county and state officials said. It’s even more reason to beckon with one voice to representatives in Sacramento and Washington, officials said. “It’s very important that we do not get into a fighting situation with other cities and counties,” said Sen. Bob Dutton, R-Rancho Cucamonga, whose district includes portions of San Bernardino and Riverside counties. “It’s going to take everyone to work together as one.” San Bernardino County Supervisor Paul Biane and Lawrence Dale, president of San Bernardino Associated Governments, underscored the Inland Empire’s role in transporting products to the rest of the nation. Forty-three percent of the nation’s imports move through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, and are eventually housed in 1.5 billion square feet of warehouse space located throughout the two-county area, they said. Regional economist John Husing estimates the 15.8 million cargo containers coming through the ports every year will eventually grow to 30 or 40 million in the next two or three decades. However, the state’s transportation bond that passed last November, Proposition 1B, can only do so much to keep up with the region’s infrastructure needs, Dutton and other officials said. The bond provides $19.9 billion for local road and freeway improvements, public transportation, and goods movement/air quality projects. “It’s time for the federal government to step up to the plate and provide some serious dollars,” Dutton said. But half of that battle is for local governments and businesses, said Roger Snoble, CEO of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. For years, cities and counties have executed their land-use plans on one side of the fence, while transportation planners and businesses carried out their own plans on the other side. “The trouble is, you have railroads making their own plans, and the different ports, and everyone else,” he said. “It’s finally time to pull everyone together.” firstname.lastname@example.org (909) 386-3871160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Borussia Dortmund’s famous Yellow Wall Watch this incredible rendition of ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ prior to the Europa League game between Liverpool and Borussia Dortmund on Thursday night!Both sets of fans sing it before every home game so the 81,000 in attendance at the Westfalenstadion came together for a rousing rendition of the song made famous by Liverpool band Jerry and the Pacemakers.No doubt there will be a similar atmosphere for the return leg after the sides played out a 1-1 draw with Divock Origi giving the Reds the lead before Mats Hummels scored to deny Jurgen Klopp victory over his old side.Check out the video and let us know if you’ve seen any better atmospheres in the comments section below!
GAA: MICKEY HARTE has admitted that Tyrone have moved training venue to avoid outsiders from neighbouring counties from ‘spying’ on their training sessions.Tyrone manager Mickey Harte.Tyrone face Donegal in the Ulster SFC on Sunday and preparations have intensified in both camps ahead of their eagerly awaited clash.Rory Gallagher took his Donegal squad to Lough Erne last weekend, while Tyrone headed to Carton House. However, closer to home Harte has decided to move their training venue to alleviate the chances of being spied on.Harte has moved their sessions from their main training base at Garvaghey to Drumragh just outside Omagh.Harte told The Irish Sun, “We have an open door policy in Garvaghey and the public are welcome to see the facilities.“But you never know when people from neighbouring counties are around and might be watching in on your final bit of training. “In the interests of not letting that happen, we have moved facilities.Donegal were embroiled in a ‘spy scandal’ last year in the run-up to their All-Ireland final with Kerry.A man from Glenties was spotted in a tree overlooking their training session at Fitzgerald Stadium.Donegal distanced themselves from the accusations and rubbished the claims but the allegation has stuck.Harte cheekily added, “There are no trees around Garvaghey. MICKEY HARTE ADMITS MOVING TYRONE TRAINING SESSIONS BECAUSE OF DONEGAL ‘SPIES’ was last modified: May 13th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalGAAnewsSportTyroneUlster SFC
2 July 2012South Africa’s hopes of an Olympic medal in mountain biking received a timely boost when Burry Stander claimed victory in a dramatic round six of the UCI Olympic Cross-country World Cup in Windham, New York on Saturday.Stander, who is currently eighth on the International Cycling Union world rankings, has been touted as a likely medal winner at the Olympic Games in London next month. But his victory on Saturday, which pushed him up to second in the World Cup Series rankings, served as confirmation that he’s firmly on track to challenge for a coveted podium place at the Games.“It was quite a nice surprise to win today. It was very hot, but coming from South Africa I’m used to the heat,” Stander told the media afterwards.‘It’s tough’“There’s some really close racing in the World Cups and it’s tough, but you have to find your rhythm, and here in Windham you have to be careful on the downhill sections because you can easily get a puncture there.”One of Stander’s main rivals, Germany’s Manuel Fumic, punctured while at the front with Stander, eliminating him from a shot at the podium, while Czech world champion Jaroslav Kulhavy faded early on, citing the extreme heat as the reason.“I knew flat tyres were going to be an issue,” Stander explained. “I’ve had my share of mechanical issues over the past few World Cup races, so it was nice be on the other side today.”AttackedWith one-and-a-half laps remaining, Stander attacked with an intensity that his two nearest rivals at the time, Spain’s Sergio Mantecon and Italy’s Marco Fontana, were unable to counter. The 26-year-old South African then extended his lead to claim his second ever World Cup victory.“Today I just decided to ride my own speed and not worry about anyone else, just ride controlled. I made sure at the top of the climb I went into the singletrack first and I could control the speed on the way down, not taking any chances.“Then, ja, towards the end I knew with the endurance coming into play and the heat it would be good for me.”Fine-tuningStander pointed out the importance of nutrition in the extreme heat. He’s been fine-tuning his nutrition and supplementation in the build-up to the Olympic Games in conjunction with his coach, Sports Scientist, Dr Jeroen Swart.“We race these cross-country races at such a high intensity that managing my energy levels is really critical. A slight dip in energy can make the difference between a good race and a bad one,” explained Stander. “Today I made sure I drank a lot because of the heat.”He added: “My energy levels were good throughout and that’s why I was able to put in a big attack when I did.”Stander is now just 12 points behind World Cup Series leader, Switzerland’s Nino Schurter.With one round remaining, in France on 28 July, the world’s most prestigious mountain bike series is set for an exciting finale. Stander’s highest finish in the World Cup Series was third in 2009.Other South AfricansStander was not the only South African in action at Windham, and the results for the Rainbow Nation were excellent.Philip Buys, competing in the same race as Stander, also excelled in the heat and claimed 15th place, ahead of some of the biggest names in the sport.James Reid continued an excellent season in the men’s under-23 cross-country category, placing eighth.Candice Neethling did even better in the women’s under-23 cross-country, finishing third, more than three minutes ahead of fourth place finisher, Barbara Benko of Hungary.Greg Minnaar and Andrew Neethling tied for ninth in the downhill, with the times calculated down to a-thousandth-of-a-second.SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Loading…